Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on another site that if you just mod your car with bolt ons, you'll barely push a 2.2 over 200hp. Is this true?

They guy was trying to build a 2.2L NA. First of all, what does NA mean when we're talking about modding? Anyways, he said he was putting on an intake, intake manifold, entire exhaust system, etc. but no TC or SC. Everyone said he wasn't going to get over 200hp with that.

Are you joking? If this is true, it's kinda like what's the point? OBZ said in my other topic that if I plan on TCing my car, I can't really mod anything because all of it will be replaced. If I SC, I can do my exhaust and that's it. That, and reading about how pointless bolt ons are, I'm kinda turned off by this whole thing now.

Is any of this true? I'd really like some imput on this because I just don't even know...

If I were to continue to mod, it sounds like if I wanted to get started with modding now and adding parts I could spend the money on an exhaust, but then I wouldn't have the choice between a TC or SC, I can only supercharge. Why exactly does the intake need to be replaced with a turbo, is there any way I can "buy one for the future"?

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
When you add a turbo or supercharger, the placement of your intake is changed.. Thus the "bolt on" intake you would use while N/A won't fit.

Its pretty much true that with a complete bolt on setup, you won't see much more than 30-40 horsepower.. You definitely have to pay to play. If you really want to go F/I, I would just save and buy it all in one shot. F/I is the only way to get serious power out of your car.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
the exhaust you might need to change though to allow better flow with a sc or tc. also, don't buy a header. otherwise bolt ons are bolt ons no matter if its tc, sc, or na(naturally aspirated)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you add a turbo or supercharger, the placement of your intake is changed.. Thus the "bolt on" intake you would use while N/A won't fit.

Its pretty much true that with a complete bolt on setup, you won't see much more than 30-40 horsepower.. You definitely have to pay to play. If you really want to go F/I, I would just save and buy it all in one shot. F/I is the only way to get serious power out of your car.
Wow, THAT's gay. I was definitely wanting to pay to play, but I didn't know I had to start out with a $3,000 part. :notrust: The fact that everything I add to my car will be void really sucks. Ehhh ok thanks man, I'll have to think about it while I'm at work today.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
N/A means naturally aspirated. Meaning no F/I (forced induction) or nitrous.

IMO the point of boltons is not to really make the car fast per say, just faster and funner to drive. With full boltons and a tune you can gain about 35-45 WHP. A lot of people will say that most boltons are not worth it, some think they are. I personally am very happy with what i have gotten out of my boltons. I can hang with stock SS/SC's (even beat some with crappy drivers :bigsmile:) and it is also faster than pretty much any other N/A 4-6 cylinder out there.

However I have also done mods that can be reversed and/or sold if i decide to go F/I. It really comes down to what YOU want out of your vehicle.. A fun daily driver, or a ticket getter lol

·
Registered
446 Posts
Comp Cams Camshaft would be a nice addition to a N/A setup IMO.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
the exhaust you might need to change though to allow better flow with a sc or tc. also, don't buy a header.
I'm confused by this... why can't we buy headers?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hmm I dont think a full bolt on 2.2 will make 200whp. Youll definitely need cams to make over 200whp.

Also, turbo kits or sc kits do not cost 3000, closer to 2000 and thats high haa

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
for a complete kit its usually 3 ish. piece it together and its 2 ish

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
^^^ missed that in my response. thanks admin lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm I dont think a full bolt on 2.2 will make 200whp. Youll definitely need cams to make over 200whp.

Also, turbo kits or sc kits do not cost 3000, closer to 2000 and thats high haa
Sorry I know pretty much zero about cams. Is that a bolt on or do I need to take my engine apart to change them out?

I thought about it at work and I think I'll continue doing what I planned on doing, and if later down the road I buy a TC or SC, I'll sell my mods on ebay. I think if I can do everything in my power to push my car past 200hp then I'll be happy. But like everyones saying, 200hp will be really difficult to hit.

Is 200hp considered fast by any means? What can that compete with?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Usually you stand to make the most horsepower normally aspirated when these conditions exist in your motor:

1- The motor is already a high compression motor (10.5:1 or higher)
2- The motor already has proper duration cams for its redline (let's say for example 7000 rpms and 270 degree duration camshafts)
3- Even though the motor has good compression and proper cams, for some reason the engine is restricted to make power at 5500 for example.

This way with bolt ons you realistically stand to move your peak power from 5500 to 7000 and what that does is it moves power up by 7000/5500 which is 1.27 or an increase of 27%.

Now if the engine has low compression pistons, or cams that are already designed for a 5500 rpm peak, then opening up your intake / intake manifold / exhaust manifold (header) / exhaust will not show that HUGE an all motor / Normally aspirated gain.

The other situation you won't see much all motor power is if your stock peak power rpm and your redline are not too far off. If the car already makes peak power at 6500 and redline is at 7000 ... then a typical expected gain with bolt ons ... is only 7%.

Sure bolt ons improve engine efficiency as well as boosting peak power rpm, but more often, manufacturers are leaving less wasted efficiency on the table because efficiency translates into smaller engines (for the same power) and better mileage.

If you go TC or SC almost everything you do now will have to be thrown out. It is cheaper and smarter to start with your desired power goal, and then work backwards into translating what that is in terms of a buildup, then just commit to that and build it up slowly as money becomes available.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
^ Lets say if one gets a kit with all of the parts to piece together a turbo system. Will you have to upgrade the pistons/ rods and whatnot to handle the extra power? Also, I'm guessing it would be strongly recommended to change the exhaust system with the turbo cause it would basically be choking itself with a stock 2.2 exhaust... I have to say it sucks that the 2.2s stand to make such a small amount of power in N/A form and with $1k+ in parts.. I wonder if the dealer would basically void your whole engine and exhaust from warranty work once you throw an aftermarket turbo on it?

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
You can use an aftermarket header with a supercharger but not with a turbo setup. Turbo's will use a turbo manifold that bolts up to the turbo itself.
oh

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
^ Lets say if one gets a kit with all of the parts to piece together a turbo system. Will you have to upgrade the pistons/ rods and whatnot to handle the extra power? Also, I'm guessing it would be strongly recommended to change the exhaust system with the turbo cause it would basically be choking itself with a stock 2.2 exhaust... I have to say it sucks that the 2.2s stand to make such a small amount of power in N/A form and with $1k+ in parts.. I wonder if the dealer would basically void your whole engine and exhaust from warranty work once you throw an aftermarket turbo on it?
yep. once you go fi your powertrain warranty is basically gone

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you are thinkin about going F/I, say good bye to your warranty. The trick to modding your car is to plan what you wanna do, research, and then a quality install. For instance, if you plan on going turbo in the future, dont bother with an intake because youre going to have to take it off when you do your build. Aftermarket parts depreciate real quickly and are by no means an 'investment.' Save your money for your turbo kit.

Research is prolly the most over looked thing. A lot of people will join a forum, ask how to turbo, get a response, then try to do it. It wont work that way, guarenteed. Learn about your motor. Learn how much power is safe on stock internals. Learn what you need to add, etc etc. I have been teaching myself DAILY about this car. I feel like I have an above grasp, yet everyday I learn something new.

Dont buy cheap parts and make sure you have a QUALITY install. If you are a novice, find some friends in the area to help you out. Make sure you have a tune, supporting mods, tools, and whatever else you need to make the install go as smoothly as possible.

By following these basic guidelines you will never need your warranty. Some one on this site has in there signature, "If you treat your car right, it will treat you right." Enough said.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.