Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sounds like normal problems for an auction car. If you buy a new car off the lot you and you have these problems you can call it a lemon but not from an auction lot.

(1) Car sat in an auction yard, normal for battery to be low or dead. Try recharging it with a battery charger if this fails you need a new battery.
(2) Fix the radiator or replace it, make sure all coolants levels are as necessary and use dexcool or equivalent.
(3) Change pancake and swaybar bushings.

For an extra 400$ max you will have a good car, if you maintain it unlike previous owner it will last a long time.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
1.it may not be just the battery if it keeps dying on you then the alternator may be bad as well
2.replace the radiator and with the hood up have someone give it a little gas, i had a coolant problem in the car before my cobalt and when i gave it gas the coolant which is under prssure as you know came squirting out of a hose so all was needed was to replace that.
3.replace the sway bars and bushings and have the struts and shocks should be looked at as well
good luck

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Hope you get everything fixed! if it costs you a couple hundred or less to fix everything and have it running well, then I'd say you got a pretty good deal! The car itself in general is quite reliable and cheap to maintain. Overall a decent car for the price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys so much. This puts my mind at ease a fair bit. I'll get everything fixed up and keep you guys informed along the way. Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just checked out your YouTube video and it sounds to me like timing could be off maybe broken timing belt in that case u definately bought a lemon did it start before?

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
This car has a timing chain. Check fuses, maybe when you boosted it you blew an ECM fuse or an injector fuse. You should not boost your Cobalt. The best thing is to recharge your battery if it's still good then try to start your car. The Cobalt has a lot of electronics BCM,ECM,TCM,etc....and if you start to spark booster cables you might fry something. It's not an old dodge.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know. Yes it did run before eagles, but it took a lot of effort to start then too.

Coby, thanks very much. I'll check the fuses and report back! What you're saying then is that I should use a trickle charger as opposed to jumping it?

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If the battery is good, charge it over night. Check all the fuses pertaining to engine. You know the crank fuse and relay are good because it turns, But fuel pump,injectors,ECM etc....Then try it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hmmm.

2008 model - 5 year power train warranty, does it have over 100,000 miles?

If not its the dealerships problem...

That start attempt sounds good, battery wise and starter wire. I doubt its the battery (since you tried to jump start with a good charging battery), more likely something else like no gas getting to the engine or something similar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sadly it does. 157,000. Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for? All the fuses looked good from my inspection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.