Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
currently painting my bowtie black, but when i was taking it off, it cracked and broke in two pieces. i appoxied it back together and it is now one piece. it also had a smooth surface (one piece was not higher than the other). i began to paint, thinking that the paint would cover the evidence of the crack, but i was wrong. ive done 4 coats or so and when its fresh sprayed the crack goes away, but when it drys you can kind of see it. will this eventually go away with more coats and clear coat? anyone else had this issue?

i may have to order a new piece : ( anyone know how much they cost?

UPDATE!!!!!!!!
THE PAINT FILLED THE CRACK IN, OR RIGHT NOW IT SEEMS LIKE IT...STILL WOULD LIKE HELP/ADVICE

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
front or back bowtie?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
probably really need to sand it good and maybe like fill the crack on the surface with epoxy and run your finger or a cloth down it to level it. Then sand, and try again.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I cracked my rear bowtie and ended up just leaving it off, LOL.
If you can't get it to look right, just post in the buy/sell section, there's probably somebody out there who debadged and has one laying around.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
If you still need one, I'll send you mine for like 10 bucks shipped.. but I would try the method snake posted

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i got the paint to fill in the crack, but i just gotta wait and see how it dries...i gotta still do clear coat. btw its front bowtie i pryed it off the chrome thing on grille, if it doesnt look right ill have to buy it off of you obz. ill keep you dudes posted

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
well i got the paint to fill in the crack, but i just gotta wait and see how it dries...i gotta still do clear coat. btw its front bowtie i pryed it off the chrome thing on grille, if it doesnt look right ill have to buy it off of you obz. ill keep you dudes posted
Oh i was thinking it was the rear one.. You should have just masked it off.
Hope it works out man. I only have the rear one available

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
whoa! you pryed it off the grill!!!! why?

its held in with 2 10mm bolts, it comes off in a total of 15 seconds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont have a socket wrench for metric units...why the heck are there metric units on an american car?

UPDATE:
applied 3-4 light/medium coats of clear coat, and it turned milky...the can said it would for about 24 hours. its really dark milky, im not sure if it will all fade out. anyone elses do this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.