Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this is kind of a noob question, but is the only way to get the gold inside the bowtie to be black is to paint it? Or does the bowtie come off or something? I really want mine to be black instead of gold. I saw a cobalt that had one but it doesn't look like it is painted. Could someone tell me how to get the gold to be black without painting it? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
The only way to make it black is to paint it. You can buy bowties from 24designs.net but they do not look OEM. And the front bowtie is held on by a few nuts, you just have to unscrew them from behind the grille. And the back bowtie you would have to take fishing line or something to get it off, I used heat and kept working it to it finally came off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Open your hood and look behind the bowtie. You will see two screws, just take those off and your bowtie will slide out. You will need to paint it, or have someone else paint it for you. I'm not completely sure what you mean by it doesn't look painted. I guess you can take a lighter to it and burn it till its black.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh so i guess it is all painted one way or another. i wasnt really sure if you could just remove the gold or not cuz i never took mine off because i didnt want to mess anything up. thanks a bunch for the help! it will have to be my project for tomorrow :)

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
oh so i guess it is all painted one way or another. i wasnt really sure if you could just remove the gold or not cuz i never took mine off because i didnt want to mess anything up. thanks a bunch for the help! it will have to be my project for tomorrow :)
The chevy emblem is held on to the chrome basket by double sided tape, use a piece of fishing line ans start from one corner and cut your way thru. The emblem is factory tinted on the inside with a gold flake. the gold falke will come off but when applied it actually stains the inside of the clear plastic gold also, so the only way is to paint the outside.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i was cleaning the gold flake crap off and snapped the plastic. so im just getting custom ones now haha i feel pretty retarded. well thanks again for all the help guys

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
the usual 3m stuff is probably too thick. im not sure though

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
The front is fasted via two tapping nuts on the back side of the grille bar. The rear is taped on.

I just taped off the chrome on mine, so I don't have to worry about re-gluing the colored piece.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.