Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been looking around the site and a lot of new ppl have been asking about the bowties in the rear and front

the front is held on but two speed nuts i believe thats what they are called but they are 10 or 11mm very simple to get off just stick you hand behind he bumper by the latch for the hood very simple. there is two holes in the bumper so if you choose not to put the emblem back in there will be two holes.

the rear is a little more different, the bowtie is held on by exterior mounting tape and takes some work to do take some fishing line and pull behind the bowtie cutting the bowtie away from the adhesive and then use bug and tar remover or goo off or something to get all the adhesive off. then use some polishing compound and rub it in real well following directions on the container and then follow up with some wax

if you choose to paint either bowtie or both the easiest way ive done it is wipe it down with paint thinner then a little very fine sanding with lik waterproof sand paper to rough the surface up. then spray with Krylon Fusion Plastics with the desired color and let dry and spray another coat, let dry then one or two coats of clear coat to protect the paint then put it back on. if its the front jus put the nuts back on and tighten. if the rear go to a local hardware store i work at an ace so i used exterior mounting tape weatherproof kind which is the same as the 3m kind gm uses.

if you ever remove the gm emblems or side moldings on the door you will have to repeat the same process of removing the emblem or molding and then removing the adhesive then polishing and waxing

ill put some pictures up tomorrow but a moderator should sticky this please cuz there is the same thing being discussed in a bunch of threads

·
Registered
318 Posts
sticky or not there are too many noobs out there who's ADD prevents them from actually looking around before asking, LOL. IMO, it should be a HUGE ***blinking*** message that pops up as soon as they register.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
sticky or not there are too many noobs out there who's ADD prevents them from actually looking around before asking, LOL. IMO, it should be a HUGE ***blinking*** message that pops up as soon as they register.
hahahaha :laugh: SEARCH! SEARCH! SEARCH! SEARCH!

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
but we all have the same questions in the beginning so I do not mind answering. I know alot of people like myself when they first get their "new" car find a forum and want to post right away and usually ask the simple ?'s. Yes, searching does help, but if not done to the T you get mixed topics that come up.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but we all have the same questions in the beginning so I do not mind answering. I know alot of people like myself when they first get their "new" car find a forum and want to post right away and usually ask the simple ?'s. Yes, searching does help, but if not done to the T you get mixed topics that come up.
That's why Im creating this to help the new guys

·
Registered
254 Posts
Does anybody know of a website that sells a direct replacement for the OEM bowties? I have a black 06 SS and I am looking for black bowties for the trunk and grill. Or maybe what other Chevy's have the same size emblems that would be able to be used as replacements. I seem to only be finding black bowties for the Avalanche/Silverado and I have found a few for HHR.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
use an eraser wheel to remove the adhesive.

same material as a pencil eraser. just don't hold it in one place for more than a split second and keep it moving or you could burn the paint. after using this, wipe clean with a light dab of paint thinner on a dry rag or towel.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got a can of laser blue made up and spray painted mine last year... still holding up good threw a winter(this is the second winter)
I also painted the chrome part white ( they come apart.. they are just double side taped together with a little bit of glue in the middle)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I got a can of laser blue made up and spray painted mine last year... still holding up good threw a winter(this is the second winter)
I also painted the chrome part white ( they come apart.. they are just double side taped together with a little bit of glue in the middle)

that is sex. seriously, i love it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im going to try and do the SS the same way, but thats going to be a little more difficult cause the chrome and white don't come apart... lol.. might have to get my buddie to make a SS vinyl sticker, paint it Laser blue and put it on, and clear them together... hope it works

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
thanks for a GREAT post Beamer!!!!
its responses like this that made me stay on this forum. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.