Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help!! ok so im using the how to on my headlights. gonna turn them black. :) wish me luck. now! i also wanna paint my bowties black since im a be using black paint anyways. can anyone help me on how to do it. i wnana keep the chrome part chrome and the gold part into black. help you guys!!

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Just use painters tape and tape off the chrome part. Or...you can pry the goldish part off...but be careful when trying that because it could break.

·
Yay go me
2,154 Posts
you will need bug and tar remover also. IMO i would just tape the chrome off on the front one prying it off seems like a little bit of a pain

·
Registered
499 Posts
make sure you tape off any surrounding areas from overspray if you decide to leave it on the trunk while you paint

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am using Vinyl that my friend has for the registration numbers on his boat to cover my bowties. It's not permnant, and Im not a very good painter lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well if you want to paint it, use a blow dryer, and heat up the bowties with that. Than take a screw drive and just work the driver under neath each of the bowties. Then paint them. If you wan to remove the fron one, then there are two bolts behind the grill insert. When you pop the hood you have easy acess to them. Un bolt the bowtie fron the car and either pry of the gold part or just tape around the chrome. But be warned, do this in a closed area. I painted my bowtie several times because god chose to make the wind blow right when i painted mine each time. Now there are imperfections in mine but for now it will have to do as ive done it multiple times.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
So would the bowtie still fit onto the car after taking it off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
[/IMG]
So would the bowtie still fit onto the car after taking it off?
Yeah see, its just glued on, you heat up the glue a little with the blow gun to soften it up, pry it off all easy like, then pick off the excess glue from the bowtie and the chrome plate its glued too. Paint it how ever you like, then glue it back on. If you look at the bottom of it, it hass a little pry mark. To paint it, sand it a little. get some primer. Paint up to three coats. Then clear coat as much as you like. DO NOT however put it back on without letting the clear coat dry for a few days. I didnt do this and messed mine up a little. But it will look good once you do this. Once everything is dry, take some super glue, or double sided tape, (your choice) i hear some good things and some not so good things about the tape, and either glue it back on or tape it. Your choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.