Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I step on the brake - I stop (duh), however, when I lift my foot off the brake I hear a sound like an un-lubed squeek from under my car. It's loud - I can hear an echo from buildings around me. Any ideas as to why this is going on?
I can replicate the sound by pressing my foot on and off the brake. BUT, when the car isn't running, I dont hear the sound. So I'm confused as to if it has to do with power brakes or something else?

·
Registered
547 Posts
my brake does that too after i brake and let off brake it makes a slight squeek noise but i always thought that was regular its been like that since i bought it and brakes have been good so idk...so i need to know too lol

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fluids are fine, Calipers are too. Sound comes from under the car. :cry:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you did your own brake service, did you use brake grease? Also, are your pads chamfered?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you did your own brake service, did you use brake grease? Also, are your pads chamfered?
Everything is stock. The car stops on a dime and no problems with the e-brake either.:unsure:
also, the sound comes from under the car to my knowledge, not from the wheels/brakes. I'm off warranty now so I might have to crawl under there after my arm heals and see what I can see.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Stock pads I don't believe are chamfered, so that is probably what is causing the noise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
no, i have the same problem, and apparently it's common, cause the GM tech told me it's no big deal just bring it in when i have time ( i forgot, and it went away for most of the winter, just came back this spring on and off ) mine is stull under warrentee but if you can figure out the part, it sounds like a little oil does the trick (GM tech)

but theres nothing wrong, so your not crazy, the brakes, pads, fluids are all fine

i hate that damn sound with everything in my bieng, so let me know when you do figure out EXACTLY what it is, either way that GM tech is gunna fix it for me, so if i can get him to tell me, i'll let you know

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ha, my brakes do the same thing, always have, when the car is running i can pump the brake and hear "squeak squeak squeak..." I just figured it was the brake lines going back to the drum brakes in the back, i dont ever notice it unless im in a drive through or something like that, if you figure out how to make it stop squeaking i would love to know as well

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
probably the pad backing moving against the caliper. Pull the pads out, apply some anti-squeal brake lube, bet it does the trick.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i was a "gm tech" tbh you're better off listening to a honda tech.
well whatever, thats they guy i could go to for warrantee stuff, and thats what he said, i can't really go to a honda tech for gm warrantee work. But really i'd just perfer the "tech" to be a friend of mine and us do the work together, it's more fun, and i wanna know how to work on my car.

isn't that sorta why we're here

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

probably the pad backing moving against the caliper. Pull the pads out, apply some anti-squeal brake lube, bet it does the trick.
and i think thats whats up

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. I still am recovering from a shattered shoulder so crawling under my car wouldn't be too comfortable. But it does sound like something needs a little grease/lubing. As soon as I can move my arm I'll try it and let everyone know.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Have this problem as well...
Thought it might be a little grime in the rear drum...turns out cleaning the interior of the drum helps stop the squeak for about a week or two and then the infamous squeak returns

My guess is that it has something to do with the brake lines? Just a guess but I'm dying to figure out how to fix this and apparently so is everyone else lol

Good luck to everyone =)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I only get this noise in the morning, and I only get this noise in reverse, rolling backwards (out of my driveway).

So... morning start up, e-brake off, clutch in and roll back out the driveway.

Also, I notice that I only get the noise for about 1/2 of a tire revolution.:suspicious:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.