Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is 3 days old with 100mils on the clock. When I step on the brakes, it makes a sound exactly like this: woo...woo....woo...The sound is not metalic, like brakes sqeeking. It just goes woo....woo...woo.... as I'm coming to a slow stop.

Is it brake dust? Is it the roters? Brakes are consider wear and tear so is it under my 3/36 warranty?

·
Registered
268 Posts
i would take it right back to the dealer a.s.a.p and tell them it's doing this. if it's something other than pads that is defective then it may be warranty issue. but they might still try and screw u like they are me with my defective pressure plate issue, but i'm talking with the district GM REP. so yeah take it back asap iwould

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
it is under wear and tear, but if the car has the original set on it still, and hasnt been driven all that much, it should be covered still

·
Registered
268 Posts
exactly so get back to the dealer! otherwise they'll eat u up and spit u out and tell u that u beat on your car, lol thats all they tell me. but they stink like liers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Brand new car with brake noise, I'm guessing it sat on the lot and got rust on the rotors. Take it back just like cobalt-z suggested. They can't deny anything on a car that new with that low of mileage.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My '07 Cobalt had the same problem and I took it back to the dealership and my rotors were warped and it only had like 10miles on it. And now....16,500miles later not even a yr yet and my rotors are warped again and the brakes are almost gone due to the rotors. It sucks. I'm going down and raise cain about gettin them fixed again cuz that's ridiculous. It's not even a yr. Do you think the dealership would warranty that out?

·
Registered
268 Posts
dude alls i have to say is the dealership 90% of the time will try and get out of helping you, if it doesn't help them. they probably will tell you that its from wear and tear and theres nothing they can do but CHARGE U! so if they give u crap when u take it back let me know and i'll get the number that you'll need to put up a fight and get ahold of the gm rep. in your area.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Look at the brake rotors, if they appear rusty or rough where the pads go, thats most likely your noise. Its commonly called "lot-rot". I know it sucks, but you need to wait till youve got 200 miles before you go to the dealer, otherwise unless your dealer is AWESOME they wont cover it. GM recommends dealers not do warranty brake service for corrosion on vehicles with less than 200 miles. Its to cut back on costs and force dealers to drive the cars so they dont get lot-rot. I would call your dealer, and make an appointment, let them know how pissed you are, that way A: its documented before you even show up, and B: you'll have a chance to put some miles on it so they wont pull the 20 mile rule out on you, that and the rust may get burnished off by them. If you are concerned its a safety issue, OBVIOUSLY DO NOT WAIT> GO TO YOUR DEALER NOW>

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dealer told me it will make noise for like the first 300-400 miles, and ask if it's metallic in sound. I said no. Is that what "lot rot" sounds like? It does sound like a roter because it goes like woooo....wooo.... woooo... as I'm coming to a rolling stop, while stepping on the brakes.

My appointment is tomorrow. I should have about 180 miles then.

The hard part will be, it only make "noise" some of the time. But now, when it does, it's louder than it was 3 when I first heard it a few days ago.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Does the steering wheel vibrate as well? Mine did well still does and I think it's the rotors..I swear it does. I look at it this way...if they don't replace it it's the 2nd time this has happened. And isn't there a rule if a problem occurs 3 times then it's a "lemon" and you can get a new car?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does the steering wheel vibrate as well? Mine did well still does and I think it's the rotors..I swear it does.
Yes it is most likely that the rotors have excessive thickness variation causing the steering wheel to move when you brake.

I look at it this way...if they don't replace it it's the 2nd time this has happened. And isn't there a rule if a problem occurs 3 times then it's a "lemon" and you can get a new car?
Sorta, kinda, without getting into a big deal about it, the simple answer is that there is a lot more to it than that, and a brake pulsation is highly unlikely to be classified under lemon law.(chiefly because because you'd have to prove it was a defect and not due to natural phenomenon. IE: rust)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the steering wheel vibrate as well? Mine did well still does and I think it's the rotors..I swear it does. I look at it this way...if they don't replace it it's the 2nd time this has happened. And isn't there a rule if a problem occurs 3 times then it's a "lemon" and you can get a new car?
Mine steering wheel does not vibrate. I think in order for the lemon law to kick in, you car has to be "out of service." I'm sure others know more about this.

F

·
0 Posts
gm rotors are complete crap....i turn and replace them constantly... most the time on buicks with less than 8k miles on them the rotors are junk already. take it back if the rotors are warped they have to turn them on a lathe because of warranty if you demand to have them replaced...you have to pay for them. and for any brake issue you dont feel is right take it back to the dealership.. every once in a while there is a bulletin out about a certain pad making a problem and they will replace your pads with different ones under warranty. and the lemon law only takes affect after your vehicle has had the same problem 3 or more times and the same dealership has attempted to fix this problem 3 times or more. now if the tech looks at it each time and says customer concern not duplicated meaning they didn't see a problem then you have no case. but if they throw parts at it or make repairs then you have your lemon law. and i don't know if rotors would really fall under that because i mean really you can just be a **** and ride your brakes and warp your rotors bad enough to notice them in a couple days.

·
Registered
268 Posts
gm rotors are complete crap....i turn and replace them constantly... most the time on buicks with less than 8k miles on them the rotors are junk already. take it back if the rotors are warped they have to turn them on a lathe because of warranty if you demand to have them replaced...you have to pay for them. and for any brake issue you dont feel is right take it back to the dealership.. every once in a while there is a bulletin out about a certain pad making a problem and they will replace your pads with different ones under warranty. and the lemon law only takes affect after your vehicle has had the same problem 3 or more times and the same dealership has attempted to fix this problem 3 times or more. now if the tech looks at it each time and says customer concern not duplicated meaning they didn't see a problem then you have no case. but if they throw parts at it or make repairs then you have your lemon law. and i don't know if rotors would really fall under that because i mean really you can just be a **** and ride your brakes and warp your rotors bad enough to notice them in a couple days.
i totally agree except if he were to ride the brakes badly there would be proof of that by heating up metal it would cause discoloration on the metal meaning there would be colorful rotors, but if there not colored more than likely it's from defect. u have to get metal like rotors and what not pretty hot to warp them, and it is very noticeable when u do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The "offical" response is something like condensation build up, which cause ABC, XYZ, 123, 456, etc, etc which I don't understand. Bottom line - the brakes are new and give it more time. The sound is still there today, but at least I have it documented. I will go back at 400 or 600 miles (as he suggested) if it still that way.

Thanks guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.