Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so, over the weekend i replace my front brakes, rotor and pads. after the install i took the car for a test drive and stopped a few times. i know better than to go too hard on new brakes till they are broken in, so the stops were very easy. during the test i did notice a kind of humming noise. the only thing i can compare the sound to is braking on a rough road and you hear the humming from the tires as you are stopping. i really don't notice any pulling or vibrating when stopping. the old rotors were warped and it feels WAY smoother now. I am just stumped as to what the noise is and if it is going get worse. i am thinking now that i just have to finish braking in the rotors and pads. any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, i took the brakes apart, put it all back together after applying a fresh bit of caliber grease. i also made sure i bled the brakes really good. after i was done, i went for a test drive to see if the brakes would make the same noise/vibration. at first it was very quiet, then i did some more braking and it started again. i don't know what else to check. it all started after i replace the rotors and pads. i don't know..............any other ideas?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so, i took the brakes apart, put it all back together after applying a fresh bit of caliber grease. i also made sure i bled the brakes really good. after i was done, i went for a test drive to see if the brakes would make the same noise/vibration. at first it was very quiet, then i did some more braking and it started again. i don't know what else to check. it all started after i replace the rotors and pads. i don't know..............any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you replace your original rotors with drilled rotors because drilled rotors hum and get worst has the rust gets to them. The rust creates a ridge around each hole causing them to hum louder and louder. Grooved and drilled rotors are only good for racing as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the bearings don't seem to be the problem as this noise/humming only occurs when i brake.

no, they are not drilled rotors, just regular/plain rotors with ceramic pads.

i even went ahead and rotated my tires to see if maybe it was some road noise from the tires, but no luck.......

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Are they getting better with time as the pads seat in a groove and wear away at machining marks?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not as bad. i am beginning to think they just need to wear down the rotor surface a little more. i will keep updating.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The best pads I found for limited amount of brake dust were the ''Adaptive One'' from NAPA Autoparts. Two different pads inside and out. I'm on my second set, they are a great product if you don't like to wash your front wheels all the time. I had 154000 Kms on the last set and rotor. When the Cobalt will need brakes I will not hesitate to fit it with these pads. Also they come with the stainless steel guide clips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.