Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My breaks are squeaking sounds like there's dust or something stuck in them and it sounds like its worse when its colder out. It doesn't happen all the time mostly when only applying lighter pressure, then stops when I push more. I've taken them apart and cleaned them with brake clean and blew them out with a compressor and re applied them grease on the back. I don't know what else to do and it only has 5800 miles on it. Super frustrating

·
Registered
56 Posts
My breaks are squeaking sounds like there's dust or something stuck in them and it sounds like its worse when its colder out. It doesn't happen all the time mostly when only applying lighter pressure, then stops when I push more. I've taken them apart and cleaned them with brake clean and blew them out with a compressor and re applied them grease on the back. I don't know what else to do and it only has 5800 miles on it. Super frustrating
Only 5800 miles? Take it back to the dealer. There should be NO noise coming from the brakes. The only time they should squeek is when they are down to wear indicators. It could be a simple as dust. Maybe they need to turn the rotors. Whatever it is they should make it right... UNDER WARRANTY.

·
Registered
194 Posts
aren't the stock pads semi-metallic? they are gonna squeel a little sometimes... but i had my rear brakes (calipers, pads, rotors) replaced under warranty at 9000 mile mark... it was a constant squeel with no brake pressure applied... the rears had seized.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hows the pads and rotors?
They seem to be fine, i mean nothing other then normal wear.

Only 5800 miles? Take it back to the dealer. There should be NO noise coming from the brakes. The only time they should squeek is when they are down to wear indicators. It could be a simple as dust. Maybe they need to turn the rotors. Whatever it is they should make it right... UNDER WARRANTY.
I took it to a goodyear down the street and of course they weren't making noise then but, they said everything looked fine. And i was told the dealership wouldn't do anything cause were are some much of a wear and tear part.....??

aren't the stock pads semi-metallic? they are gonna squeel a little sometimes... but i had my rear brakes (calipers, pads, rotors) replaced under warranty at 9000 mile mark... it was a constant squeel with no brake pressure applied... the rears had seized.
Its a '10 SS so it has i big brembo setup i dont know if that make a difference

·
Registered
56 Posts
They seem to be fine, i mean nothing other then normal wear.

I took it to a goodyear down the street and of course they weren't making noise then but, they said everything looked fine. And i was told the dealership wouldn't do anything cause were are some much of a wear and tear part.....??

I guess it depends on the problem. My 06 Cobalt in the third year started to get noise in the rear brakes so I took it to the dealer. They checked it out, I forget what they had found but they turned the drums at no charge. Problem solved.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So maybe just see if i can get them turned?
IMHO, it wouldnt hurt to have the dealer check them out. Like I said, it only has 5800 miles on it so I think you are well within your right to take it in and express your concerns.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have an SS lol. '09. they don't give you great pads, just semi-metallic ones. I just recently bought a new set of rotors and ceramic pads, still waiting to put them on. considering all the fun i've had with it (along with dealerships saying the brakes didn't need to be shaved after so many trips) I'm okay with them lasting 35,000 miles before needing replacing...but it shows they really could care less for "machining" ... they'd rather you pay for new parts and charge you the same in labor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an SS lol. '09. they don't give you great pads, just semi-metallic ones. I just recently bought a new set of rotors and ceramic pads, still waiting to put them on. considering all the fun i've had with it (along with dealerships saying the brakes didn't need to be shaved after so many trips) I'm okay with them lasting 35,000 miles before needing replacing...but it shows they really could care less for "machining" ... they'd rather you pay for new parts and charge you the same in labor.
This is what i want to do but i dont have the money right now. Post to say how they work out.

Well i'll call the dealership monday and take it down to see what they say. Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
not sure how they will work on the cobalt, but I had a focus hatchback a few years ago and put Baer drilled/slotted rotors along with carbon ferrous brakes and those brakes stopped so much better than the stock ones.... probably too well for that little slowish car lol... it was like having bus brakes on a car 1/10th the size...it stopped fast and never made a noise... no brake dust either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So service brake system dic popped up yesterday and I dropped it of at the dealership last night. But when I called to let them down I'm coming and asked about the noise he said to was because there is no longer aspestice in break shoes???? I said that can't be it cause every car would make a noise?? So he said he would look into it. They called and said the light was because my brake booster switch needs replaces. I don't really know what that is but I hope it fixes whatever is wrong

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.