Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I plan on building my 2.2 LAP because I'm sure that soon enough im gonna throw a rod because of the supercharger and it's my daily so I want it to go fast and also be reliable.

So while building the engine of course I want to throw more power at it because why the hell wouldn't I if I'm building it.

Here's my question, how much will the stock cast aluminum pistons handle and would it be worth using forge pistons if I only plan on running like a 2.7 on the m62 which is like 18psi.

Forged rods, mls headgasket, arp headstuds and file fit rings at about 20~22 thou are a must for me but I'm just curious if the stock pistons will hold since if I'm not gonna make more than 18psi I'm not entirely sure if I really should throw forged pistons at it. If it's not gonna get turned up it seems like a waste of cash towards other mods.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey guys,

I plan on building my 2.2 LAP because I'm sure that soon enough im gonna throw a rod because of the supercharger and it's my daily so I want it to go fast and also be reliable.

So while building the engine of course I want to throw more power at it because why the hell wouldn't I if I'm building it.

Here's my question, how much will the stock cast aluminum pistons handle and would it be worth using forge pistons if I only plan on running like a 2.7 on the m62 which is like 18psi.

Forged rods, mls headgasket, arp headstuds and file fit rings at about 20~22 thou are a must for me but I'm just curious if the stock pistons will hold since if I'm not gonna make more than 18psi I'm not entirely sure if I really should throw forged pistons at it. If it's not gonna get turned up it seems like a waste of cash towards other mods.
I won't pretend to know the answer to your question but I will make a suggestion.
If you want daily driver reliable and you want to use that 18lbs of boost (why the heck wouldn't you because you added a S/C'er?) then do as I have always done, over build. Do run on the edge, don't do maybe it will/won't. Make sure it will hold because if a piston goes while you are pushing it to the limit, the damage isn't going to be just 1 broken piston. Parts flying around inside your engine do a lot more damage.

I am building my whole project on this very simple believe. Could I have saved money, up front? Yes.

Am I saving money after the fact? YES.

Now you need to choose which option you are going to take.

Rod :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think we just gotta let her eat bartle skeet on stock pistons, and maybe some meth!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts