Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so im going to be putting a intake on my car this weekend I dont wanna spend 300 on one so im gonna build it myself like some of you guys did I just need to know what parts I need like what bends how many and so on whatever tips you guys may have is also welcome please help me out here I want a cold air intake so bad..

·
Registered
745 Posts
cobalt-addiction.com, get a maf sensor adaptor 40$ shipped, buy a right angle couplet off ebay for 15$, buy an intake pipe and cone filter, put it all together. theres your intake

·
Registered
745 Posts
yeah well, most people are on a budget, im just gonna go with a custom cold air/short ram like injen, just make my own, and go with a AEM dry flow filter, or k&n. 100$ =D

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Parts are from spectre sold at autozone, schmucks, all over I think this is what you need
8208 Universal modular kit
8698 90 degree elbow, or a 8791 90 degree elbow boot
9405 Maf adapter
8132 Cone filter

I think that covers it other then silicone couplers, and other accessories i think Spectre makes a heat shield also. Spectre Performance - Official Site like i said autozone, schucks, a lot of regular retailers sell this stuff. And its not a bad idea that after a while to upgrade the filter. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Shit...I used the stock airbox...put a K&N drop in filter in there so I didn't have to worry about the MAF issue...then I took a saw and gutted the entire bottom...then used a silicone reducer to a piece of metal pipe then a 90* eblow to the TB...done. Works awesome.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
yeah well, most people are on a budget, im just gonna go with a custom cold air/short ram like injen, just make my own, and go with a AEM dry flow filter, or k&n. 100$ =D
Well, just think of it this way. You have 3 options, and you can only pick two: Cheap, reliable, fast.. Your choice. Sometimes you have to pay to play. Just my $.02. GL with it though, hope it turns out good.:)

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Shit...I used the stock airbox...put a K&N drop in filter in there so I didn't have to worry about the MAF issue...then I took a saw and gutted the entire bottom...then used a silicone reducer to a piece of metal pipe then a 90* eblow to the TB...done. Works awesome.
You got any pics of this?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
yeah just slapped a cone filter on the end of where the airbox used to be and removed the GM filer.. bang custom intake ahah! it just doesnt have the same smooth airflow as an aftermarket pipe does tho.

Muffler shops around here give away chunks of piping that they saw off, mabey I could build something from that and paint it flat black? or would that look stupid?

·
Bamble Ramble!!!!
567 Posts
I say try that out. I know ZZP makes a manderal bent piece of pipe for the 2.4l to connect to the stock air box. the skys the limit with this lil project

·
Registered
34 Posts
if ur gonna go cheap about it do the air box mod, dont throw on all that autozone flex crap, you would be doin more harm then good.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You got any pics of this?
This sir is all I got...

If you'd like I can tear it apart to take better pictures for ya'll...

if ur gonna go cheap about it do the air box mod, dont throw on all that autozone flex crap, you would be doin more harm then good.
He said custom intake...all the airbox mod does it remove resonators and shortens the intake draw by what...six inches? It doesn't add anymore horsepower than stock...and if it does...maybe 1.

·
Registered
34 Posts
and what would the cheap flexible stuff at autozone give you? probably not a damn thing anyways. i cant stand it. if its because of money y u cant get a decent intake im sure an ebay one would be better then that flexible stuff

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
filter, 3" pipe, 90 degree elbow....just make a hole on the pipe for MAF and you got yourself an $80 intake

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
filter, 3" pipe, 90 degree elbow....just make a hole on the pipe for MAF and you got yourself an $80 intake
That not only sounds great but gives great throttle response!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.