Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes 2005 Cobalts eats turn signal light bulbs. The headlamp assembly does have the condensation problem so I drilled a small hole to allow for drainage.

However, the car has burnt out many bulbs. I change the bulb and the problems goes away only return much to my annoyance.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Maybe it's an electrical/wiring problem?? I don't think condensation alone would cause the bulb to burn out (otherwise my tailights would be toast, :laugh:).
Moisture in the housing can cause a bulb to burn out.
are they black looking when you remove them ?
generaly speaking, a sign of moisture.
I'd be for removing headlight and resealing it to stop
the condensation problem.
just my .02

·
Registered
547 Posts
i had that problem too for me it was the moisture that caused bulbs to burn out fast instead of drilling a hole u might need to reseal the headlight with silicone thats what the dealer people told me but they were lazy so they just ordered a new headlight for me lol...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I think that was one of the reasons they switched the DRLs to the actual headlights starting in 07. In your situation, I'd say invest in some LED bulbs. I have a pair up front and they have lasted through two direct impacts to the headlamp and are still going strong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
^ Very true. But wouldn't the bulb last quite a while, unless you drove it A LOT?? red2003xlt, how often are you having to change them??

About every 3-4 weeks, really.

I did speak to my nephew; hes a service writer.

Apparently Chevy is having this problem with the Cobalt and Malibu. The condensation can cause the actual lamp socket to corrode and short out.

I checked the socket has burnt markings; I guess I'm in the market for a new bit of wiring harness and as well.

Any ideas on what and where I can find that section of wiring harness?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
About every 3-4 weeks, really.

I did speak to my nephew; hes a service writer.

Apparently Chevy is having this problem with the Cobalt and Malibu. The condensation can cause the actual lamp socket to corrode and short out.

I checked the socket has burnt markings; I guess I'm in the market for a new bit of wiring harness and as well.

Any ideas on what and where I can find that section of wiring harness?
Dealership has the harness for the headlamp assembly. There is a single square plug it plugs into.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.