Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, my first post here and I'm very greatful for any and all help. We just bought our 2009 ls 2 months ago from my girlfriend's parents. I know that they took very good care of it and put very little daily mileage on it. We needed the car to move for a job offer in another province and have already put approx 4,000km (or 2500 miles) on it. An oil change was done just before we bought it and we just got another one a week ago.

On returning from a long trip a few days ago I began to notice a burning smell from the left front tire. Smells like maybe burning metal or possibly oil? There might also possibly be a fluid leak around the same area but i haven't had the chance to make certain yet. I asked a couple people who seemed knowledgeable about cars, they took a sniff and said it was normal in the cold after a long trip for the brakes/wheels to smell. But I just took a very short trip right now and again the same smell. I have not noticed any difference in braking power or responsiveness.

Any ideas? And if it needs repair any estimates how much it should be? (I don't know any mechanics at all in the area and want to make sure i get a fair deal)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Could be just a seized calliper or calliper pin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Yes from what I've read I was thinking that. Do you have any idea how much that might cost to fix?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Caliper pins are like $8-15 tops, and it's really a very simple procedure to do the job yourself.

I followed this guide when I did my own brakes for the very first time on my Cobalt. Super simple stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.