Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've been noticing a burning smell coming from the right driver's side wheelwell after I drive for a while. Now I know there will be a smell after a car gets hot, however there is much more heat coming from this wheelwell than the other 3.
Any idea? The car was just in th shop for a rotation, balance, and brake check but I forgot to mention this to them. I would think something would have showed if it were an issue?

·
Registered
600 Posts
hm, i would say its the clutch lol, but its auto and idk what it smells like lol

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
brakes? Maybe a caliper is hanging up
Would that have shown up in a brake check? Maybe they forgot to check them, it says nothing on the invoice

hmm maybe your cv axels are bad?
Would that affect one side on the rear?

That was going to be my next guess. It's possible that a piston is not fully returning into its bore. It the car hesitant to take off?
I get some hesitance in the morning but I think that's from the engine.

·
Registered
869 Posts
When they check brakes they just check pad and rotor life. Not anything really detailed. It isn't axles. You would have to be doing some pretty crazy shit to make one burn. Is there any more information you can give?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When they check brakes they just check pad and rotor life. Not anything really detailed. It isn't axles. You would have to be doing some pretty crazy shit to make one burn. Is there any more information you can give?
I'm really just driving regularly. I notice it when I drive on the freeway for at least 15 minutes. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it does it regularly. I'm usually on the Freeway for less than 10 minutes when I go to work but once a week I drive further.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
I wish I could help more. I really hate over the net diagnosis. If I had the car in my hands I could tell you. A thorough visual inspection could go a long way here. Check to see anything that looks routed incorrectly, maybe something that looks rubbing where it shouldn't be. What kind of smell is it exactly? Like a burnt rubber smell, burnt oi, burnt plastic, there are a lot of smells you could be getting.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
yeah burning brakes has a distinct smell too. feel the wheel itself to see if it's hot. if the wheel is really hot that is a sign that the brakes are dragging

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
that happens to mine as well but i have a manual so different thing lol

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
hmmm, just do a real good inspection of the tires and everything. If its the brakes you may be able to see noticeable wear from the passenger side and the drivers. Maybe take the tire off and check the brakes. You could, jack up car, put on stands and start "driving" it and have someone close but safely watching and see if they can see or find anything. Or take to dealer if you really wanna

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.