Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
hmmm, just do a real good inspection of the tires and everything. If its the brakes you may be able to see noticeable wear from the passenger side and the drivers. Maybe take the tire off and check the brakes. You could, jack up car, put on stands and start "driving" it and have someone close but safely watching and see if they can see or find anything. Or take to dealer if you really wanna
I don't have any tools or a garage. I guess I will have the shop I just went to check it out, hopefully I can wait till my next oil change but thats not for another 3 months

hmm its an LS? you have drums... maybe they need to be adjusted?
LT, it also has drums.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I wouldn't wait. take it in right away to where you just went and tell them that after they just inspected the car there seems to be something wrong. You might be able to get a better deal that way cuz you can throw the guilt trip on them for missing something lol

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I can't do that, it happened before I brought it in I just forgot to bring it up.
I just started going to this shop and they were honest with me with the job they did and charged very reasonable prices. I got a brake fluid exchange, wheel alignment and tire rotation/4 wheel balance for $140. The Chevy Dealer charged me $120 just for the brake fluid exchange that they didn't even do.
I will keep an eye on it, if it happens again I will go over there and have them take a look, it's a local shop.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Does your car pull to one direction when you let go of the wheel? I'm going to say that I'm 99.999% sure that it's your caliper hanging. How many miles are on the car?

Also, drums wouldn't have anything to do with the smell or heat coming from the Right Front of the car. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
i bet its your breaks grabbing. i worked at a chevy dealer and this complaint was pretty common on cobalts... that and steering wheel shaking. the next time it happens see if your rim is hot. but be careful cuz my dad burned himself pretty bad when the caliper on his car was holding.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Does your car pull to one direction when you let go of the wheel? I'm going to say that I'm 99.999% sure that it's your caliper hanging. How many miles are on the car?

Also, drums wouldn't have anything to do with the smell or heat coming from the Right Front of the car. :)
The wheelwell that's hot is the drivers side rear not front. My car does have a tendency to tug to the left though.

i bet its your breaks grabbing. i worked at a chevy dealer and this complaint was pretty common on cobalts... that and steering wheel shaking. the next time it happens see if your rim is hot. but be careful cuz my dad burned himself pretty bad when the caliper on his car was holding.
My steering sucks also so I guess I have Cobaltitis. I'll check the Rim, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
^oh jesus poor car

and it's hard to diagnose any problems without being there. look for heat spots on the rotor. they will be darker in color and usually in a streak-like pattern. if you're gonna bring it to a shop then this thread's kinda useless.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The wheelwell that's hot is the drivers side rear not front. My car does have a tendency to tug to the left though.

My steering sucks also so I guess I have Cobaltitis. I'll check the Rim, thanks for the info.
If it's pulling to the left and the left wheel is real hot. The the left brake caliper is sticking meaning that the brakes are on all the time for that wheel.

I'd go back to the dealer and complain since you said they just did a brake check.
Sounds like they screwed up.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.