Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 2.2 Cobalt LT.
I've driven it carefully, with only a few 6000rpm shifts.
I took it into the dealership today for some slight roughness and a slight clunk/grind noise downshifting from 5th -> 4th.

Turns out my synchros are toast.

They are replacing under warrenty... but still 1500kms? the car is only 2 months old?

A friend of mine suggested having the dealer use synthetic gear oil when replacing the synchros.

Has any one else heard anything about weak synchros in 08' 2,2 5-speed models?
Will shifting at lows rpms (sub 2000) have any affect on this?

·
Registered
230 Posts
There are issues with the F35 transmission cases cracking from hard launching, but that is an SS/SC issue. Haven't heard much about the F23 having serious reliability issues, maybe you have a lemon transmission. That's why GM stopped using the Toyota sourced 5-speed in the early Ions, they were crap as far as durability went. The Getrag trannys are pretty stout though, atleast more so than the Aisin(Toyota) units.

·
Banned
161 Posts
8/10 this is caused by the drivers shifting habbits. typicaly a syncro will go because of holding the clutch in alot."city driving" every company has items built on a friday. lol.. the tranny thats in the 2.2l is a saab tranny it can handle 300 hp. if your dumping the clutch at 3 grand then expect this to happen.

·
Registered
230 Posts
built on a friday... i think you have hit the nail on the head.....
Actually probably a thursday build, the F23 transmission is Italian...think they only have a 4 day work week. That might just be the Germans though but Getrag is German and the factory is in Italy so who the hell knows.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2008 ls 5-speed and ever since i have had it its been really ruff when it comes to shifting, mines mostly been in 1st and 2nd gear though....I have never had it taken in to get looked at but ya i'v been having some trouble wit the tranny too

·
Registered
268 Posts
mine went out for 3rd and 4th but thats cuz i downshifted from like 5,000rpm in 5th and fourth to 4th and 3rd

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
^^ I did that once getting on the freeway.. I felt the engine scream and my tires started squealing. Luckily i pulled it out quick enough.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Terrible downshifting FTW!

Sport Compact Car picked up a used S2000 a while back and the previous owner missed fourth at the top of third and slammed into second...I guess even Vtec engines don't like 15,000 rpm.
Damn, and here I was thinking that 15 grand was when that Vtec finally kicked in. Ya know, when it really matters.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have a bright idea!!!!! Anyone wanna help me marry a 94 Civic HB to a 2.4L Ecotec motor?

My trans, when it went, was first, second, third, and fourth. Even reverse got goosed!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have a bright idea!!!!! Anyone wanna help me marry a 94 Civic HB to a 2.4L Ecotec motor?

My trans, when it went, was first, second, third, and fourth. Even reverse got goosed!
That is complete bastardization of a good chevy motor. I will have no part in it lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealing with Dealers.

So I've been waiting 3+weeks for part to shpped in on my car when it had 1400kms... and the parts still arn't in.

Any suggestions on how to deal with car dealers that are hesitant to replace the entire tranny?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Get ahold of gm and tell them whats going on. If your still under warranty then they have to do this. If that still doesnt work, maybe a states attourney. That should change their minds.

Sorry bout the spelling ^^

·
Registered
48 Posts
i noticed on my 08 2.2l cobalt ls it does the same thing. maybe i should go get my snychros checked out. it usually happens mostly in 3rd and 4th. its not often either just once in awhile it will grind for a split second then go into gear fine. i thought it was jsut me but then i started to make sure the clutch was all the way in and it was and it still did it . so i dunno i guess ill take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Parts came in

so the parts came in 3 1/2+ weeks later and the dealer had the car for two days to put them in.

now it seems i have to push my clutch _through_ the floor to make it engauge.
when i first brought the car in, i could feel it in the pedal when it was pushed down about 3/4".
after the repairs it seems to be about 2 3" before i can feel it in the pedal.

could this be a simple adjustment of the cluch cable/hydraulics or a bad sign for the future of this clutch?

·
Registered
268 Posts
my 3rd gear seems to be wierd after my repairs it now pops back not out of gear completely but back bout an 1" or so, i know my tranny will be rebuilt before my warranty is up cause i'll complain till they replace it. lol but yeah it depends on what u have for a balt year make and so forth. they probably put it together wrong where the clutch comes into play that is cause that should not have been removed to do tranny work. i'd mention it to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.