Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Have any of you had a similiar problem? I have a 09 cobalt LT. I have a constant buzzing noise; sounds like bees under the hood. I opened the hood and it sounds like its coming from the area around the pulleys. Sound is constant volume; same as if i am idling as when the car is in motion. Any of you had a similiar problem?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Does it vary with engine rpm?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Coby,
No it does not vary with rpm's. Even when i am idling, it sounds just as loud as when i am in motion. I thought it was a bearing but i still hear the buzz when idling. Some are telling me it may be the fuel pump. Would you have any ideas about this problem?
Tailswing Joe

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I can tell you now it wouldn't be your fuel pump, that is located in your gas tank, and the cam driven fuel pumps in these cars don't hum, they click. Does the sound vary pitch with the rpms, or does it stay the same pitch (not volume). Do you have any of your fans on?

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
TailswingJoe,

Welcome to the forum! What is your mileage on your Cobalt? Do you know if you are still within your Bumper to Bumper by time (I can check for you if you wanted to provide the last 8 digits of your VIN)?

Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
it means she works for gm and wants the vin number of the vehicle so she can look it up. The vin is located at the lower driver side of the windsheild or on your permit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that feedback. It is a steady pitch that doesn't vary with rpms but it comes and goes. i was starting to suspect that it may be a belt slipping or even the engine fan. the pitch stays the same with the fan on or off and at different fan settings.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

TailswingJoe,

Welcome to the forum! What is your mileage on your Cobalt? Do you know if you are still within your Bumper to Bumper by time (I can check for you if you wanted to provide the last 8 digits of your VIN)?

Sarah, GM Customer Service
172,000+. i am past the bumper to bumper

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Hi all,
Have any of you had a similiar problem? I have a 09 cobalt LT. I have a constant buzzing noise; sounds like bees under the hood. I opened the hood and it sounds like its coming from the area around the pulleys. Sound is constant volume; same as if i am idling as when the car is in motion. Any of you had a similiar problem?
Thanks!
Which pulley's? Any loss of power or fuel economy? Iirc your 09 has vvt. Not sure how GM does that, but maybe a cam phaser? Just throwing out a semi educated guess. No warranty?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
can you get a video of it? Almost everything pulley side should change pitch with engine rpm. Unless its a possible vacuum leak but thats more of a whistle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.