Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend, I wanted to get some maintenance done: oil, new brake pads, fuel system treatment, cabin air filter...little things like that. I wanted to especially do the cabin air filter because I started to smell a moldy type of smell when I turned on the AC. However, I wasn't able to find the location of the thing anywhere on the internet, so I just went at it on my own and found out it is actually very easy to gain access to.

Step 1: Purchase Cabin Air Filter from your local auto parts store. (~$15)

Step 2: Open your glove compartment. On the sides of the tray that drops down, you will notice there are two pegs that stop the compartment from falling any further. Carefully Push inward on the pegs so that they get pressed out of their grooves, and drop the compartment down another 8 inches or so. I find it is easier to press the left one out first because it is made of rubber and will give a little easier than the plastic one on the right.

Step 3: Once the compartment drops out of the way, you will see a black retainer, with three snap tabs. Pry each of these tabs up with your fingers. This will lift a flap that will expose the old cabin air filter.

Step 4: Pull out old filter, being careful not to let all the dust, leaves and bugs fall out onto the stuff in your glove compartment. (Trust me, this thing will be dirty. I only have 33,000 miles on my car and this was filthy. Just think, some people drive their cars for 10+ years and NEVER change this thing!)

Replace with the new one in the same manner. Remember, the grooves in the filter go from left to right.

Thats it. This process needs no tools and can be done in under 2 minutes. Run the fan for a while while you are driving around with the windows down and you should notice less of a smell coming from your vents.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Good to know...Should we possibly make this a sticky ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Add pics and this would be a most def. a sticky!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i second DJVC, mirrorrorrim, get some pics, and you will be congradulated with a sticky icky!

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Aren't filters usually behind the glove box anyway in all cars?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Aren't filters usually behind the glove box anyway in all cars?
FTR: 1996-2002 Ford Windstar vans have their cabin air filter located under the hood, it's in the cowling just below the windshield

Not all vehicles have it behind the glove box :toung:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow, does any one look in the owner manual any more? thats where i found out.
Wow, that's awesome :notrust:, but some people like me don't have the manual. Can't someone be helpful without getting flak from the guy with the owner's manual anymore?

·
Registered
298 Posts
That link is a great "How to".

·
Registered
63 Posts
Replaced filter today. Boy, was it dirty, and my granddaughter had been complaining of chicken manure smell when she ran A/C. We have several chicken houses across the road from where we live and seeing how dirty it was, I can understand why. The directions and pics were right on target.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
my fan smells like wendys when i put it on o.0 :laugh:

·
Registered
114 Posts
nice just for "fun" i took mine out and i've got 23,500 miles on mine and yea i'm going to be replacing it friday lol.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I replaced mine at 25,000 and it was filthy. I couldn't believe how nasty it was. I'm going to be changing it here soon again unless it sells first. Has 48,000 now so it will probably be bad again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.