Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, quick but pretty dumb question. Does every cobalt have a cabin air filter. I have two. A 2007 and 2009 and both have over 150,000 miles on them. As you can deduce, I have never changed the cabin air filters as I didn't even consider they might have one. So, do they all have the filters? They are both standard LT Cobalts. The 2007 is a 2 door if that matters. But I guess I should change the filters if they do indeed have them. I can just imagine what they look like.
I have read the "HOW TO" on this and watched a couple youtube vids on it and it looks simple.

Any suggestions on replacement filters and the best place to buy them?

Thanks guys/gals.

·
Registered
49 Posts
All cobalts have the filter. I would suggest a higher quality activated-carbon filter like this-

Filters down to 3 microns, which is pretty good. HEPA filters go down to 0.3 microns. Should help with particulate from diesel exhaust when sitting in traffic.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
My youngest wouldn't be able to drive the Cobalt if I didn't change the filters.... She'd be sniffling and sneezing. I change them every 6 months. After a while e coli bacteria gets in them so use disposable gloves while changing these, having a vacuum "ON" pointed at the opening while pulling it out is also not a bad idea especially if yours have never been changed.

·
Registered
949 Posts
For future reference, it's a good idea to have the cabin air filter changed about once a year or every 3rd oil change, whichever is first. I did the same thing you did and waited WAAAAY too long. I'm surprised I don't have cancer from being in there, lol.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I haven't changed mine in about 1.5 years... I guess I'm due for a change, and today is just the day to do it....

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Good as any!

Reactions: 1966tbird

·
Registered
949 Posts
Fram is known for poor quality in their oil filters. The cabin air filters are obviously not as important as oil filters, but personally, I wouldn't go with Fram on anything.

Full disclosure, this guy is obviously pretty salty.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My scented fram filter got musty smelling after 3 days and 1 rain storm. Stunk out my whole car. Replaced it with one from napa and no problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well there's stuff that falls in there that I'm not sure you can clean out. I use the disposable ones. Bag it and seal it immediately after removal.

·
Registered
979 Posts
That fram oil filter hater either works for napa or k&n.... I'll stick to my mobil 1 oil filters.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I changed both of mine out tonight. The 2009 probably looked a little worse than the 2007 but both were horrible. They had leaves dirt hair and all manner of crap in them. The pleats were filled to over half way up with junk with the leaves and other stuff laying on top. I didn't take any photos. It was at night and cold out. But after 7 and 9 years of use, I don't think I saw any photos in this thread worse than mine.

I used Napa Gold (Wix) filters and they were super easy to replace. The hardest part is getting the string on the right side disconnected so the tray folds all the way down.

Thanks for all the information and advice.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
What did the wix
sell for?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked for straight WIX but could only find stores with one in stock. I needed two. The plain WIX was $15.99 at O'Reillys. I got the Napa Gold (Rebranded WIX) at a NAPA store for something like $13 after the ten percent "Reserve online and pickup in store" discount. They were under $15 normal.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Must be nice. A napa gold for my cruze at my cost is like $38. $56 retail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That reminds me.

I need to check both of mine too, awesome reminder. But that fram video, priceless. I also only use mobile1 (m1c-151) for my oil. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.