Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some serious knocking going on in the passenger side front end. Even the slightest bump will cause the knock, but obviously the bigger the bump, the louder the knock. I have checked the sway bar links and all seems fine, as well as nothing being loose component wise. I may not have checked my CABs for failure properly, but what is the best way to decide whether the problem is the control arms or the struts themselves?? I cant replicate the knock by bouncing the front end, but I can hear air being released from the shock. The drivers side I cannot hear any air, which has lead me to think the main issue is the strut assembly. There is also a lot of knocking at highway speeds when I let OFF of the accelerator. Before I start ripping things apart and throwing money at it....do these symptoms sound more like one or the other?

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think that normally this indicates worn control arm bushings.

How many miles are on your current struts? Most struts are supposed to be replaced every 50,000 miles, so if you're over, you might want to go ahead and replace them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The struts were replaced no more than two years ago & definitely not 50k miles ago. Looks like I'll have to invest in some new CABs. Ive heard good things about the Moog ProblemSolver.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Tried the MooG Problem Solver. I have a brand new set here that you can have. Didn't solve my problem for very long until they went bad. Get the Cavalier solid bushings and run a bead of silicone along the seam on both sides and you'll never need to replace them again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.