Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last night I hit a small lake after a downpour. Approximately 6-10 inches for 15-20 feet at like 35 MPH. I had soaked my filter, almost immediately my car bogged down and strained to move along, so I putted my way into a parking lot and called my father to come with some tools. Once I disconnected my CAI I found there were some droplets in the intake pipes and on the throttle body. After the trace amounts of water had dried out of the engine (Which equates to some misfires, a rough idol, and a CEL while idling for about 20-30 min)(my interceptor gauge never showed what the code thrown was, which I'm still curious about) I quickly made my way home without a filter. Once I got home I found that filter was fairly damp, not quite wet. FYI I did have a hydroshield on there but I doubt it did much in this situation.

At any rate, my engine is fine and dandy now, but I did dodge a bullet and consider myself lucky. It could have ended up much worse if I had floored the gas instead of hitting the hazards and slowly making my way off the road and calling for help. However, I, and hopefully some of the more skeptical about CAI's, can see how much punishment an intake can take before hydrolock occurs. I just thought I'd share for some discussion.

BTW for the mods, I didn't think this fit in the performance section, nor really knew where to put this. So sorry in advance if it's in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah I need a hydroshield just in case I run into this problem :/
At least the car is fine ^_^

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
You can geta Hydroshield then you can have what happened to my brother one winter. While driving back home one night he encountered an area about 1/4 mile from his house, that water pools up on the road and due to traffic could not move over. he hit that area doing about 30 and the next day could not start his car. Reason, his air intake was a giant icecube. took him a day in his garage with a heater to defrost his intake.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You can get hydroshields or drychargers on ebay for like 20 something, just make sure you get the right one, the hydroshields are smaller than the drychargers, I had to get a K&N drycharger for my fujita filer bc the filter is too big for the Injen Hydroshield.

And the hydroshields are to protect the filter from splashed water, so puddles are bad, i do my best in the back coutry roads to stay toward the center of the road after rain bc the sides flood often

·
Registered
212 Posts
Guy guys.... hydroshields dry charger DOES NOT prevent hydrolocking in a fully submerged filter. Think about it, it repells water, but does not "create" air for the intake to suck it.

Snake890217 you are pretty lucky to get by damage free, though you might want to check more carefully for subtle misfires. That may indicate a slightly bent connecting rod.

Either way, AEM

AEM COLD AIR INTAKE BYPASS BY PASS VALVE 2.75 20-402S on eBay.ca (item 110562366116 end time 27-Jul-10 12:11:10 EDT)

has a bypass valve or you can get knock offs like

AIR FILTER BYPASS VALVE COLD AIR INTAKE 2.75 PIPE on eBay.ca (item 250669457622 end time 24-Jul-10 23:11:32 EDT)

These work by silicone/rubber ring valves detecting negative pressure and will open up and suck air in from there (the bypass valce) usually installed much higher in the intake tract. They come in different diameters and you will most likely need to cut off a section of your intake to fit it in. But IMO I would never leave home without one of these if I had a CAI.

good luck

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
THis is why I'm pretty sure I'm going with a SRI

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Guy guys.... hydroshields dry charger DOES NOT prevent hydrolocking in a fully submerged filter. Think about it, it repells water, but does not "create" air for the intake to suck it.

Snake890217 you are pretty lucky to get by damage free, though you might want to check more carefully for subtle misfires. That may indicate a slightly bent connecting rod.

Either way, AEM

AEM COLD AIR INTAKE BYPASS BY PASS VALVE 2.75 20-402S on eBay.ca (item 110562366116 end time 27-Jul-10 12:11:10 EDT)

has a bypass valve or you can get knock offs like

AIR FILTER BYPASS VALVE COLD AIR INTAKE 2.75 PIPE on eBay.ca (item 250669457622 end time 24-Jul-10 23:11:32 EDT)

These work by silicone/rubber ring valves detecting negative pressure and will open up and suck air in from there (the bypass valce) usually installed much higher in the intake tract. They come in different diameters and you will most likely need to cut off a section of your intake to fit it in. But IMO I would never leave home without one of these if I had a CAI.

good luck
I know the hydroshield wont prevent hydrolock, and I'm sure I didnt cause any real damage there wasn't that much water in the system. I was just enough to make things unhappy, I'm sure a cylinder didn't get filled with water. That and as odd as it sounds, i feel like it runs better even lol A squeak that I had under acceleration is now gone lol

On an added note I got a chance to compare CAI to SRI and CAI is so much better hands down lol Tho SRI sounds more aggressive

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
On an added note I got a chance to compare CAI to SRI and CAI is so much better hands down lol Tho SRI sounds more aggressive
But when it comes to worry about water in the intake sri is the safer bet right?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But when it comes to worry about water in the intake sri is the safer bet right?
Of course since it way higher up, though the water you splash up into the bay, in my case, may get on the filter so there's still the risk. Otherwise the average puddle wont harm either too much.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Thanks thats good infor seems how its very wet during breakup season in ak

·
Registered
931 Posts
So last night I hit a small lake after a downpour. Approximately 6-10 inches for 15-20 feet at like 35 MPH. I had soaked my filter, almost immediately my car bogged down and strained to move along, so I putted my way into a parking lot and called my father to come with some tools. Once I disconnected my CAI I found there were some droplets in the intake pipes and on the throttle body. After the trace amounts of water had dried out of the engine (Which equates to some misfires, a rough idol, and a CEL while idling for about 20-30 min)(my interceptor gauge never showed what the code thrown was, which I'm still curious about) I quickly made my way home without a filter. Once I got home I found that filter was fairly damp, not quite wet. FYI I did have a hydroshield on there but I doubt it did much in this situation.

At any rate, my engine is fine and dandy now, but I did dodge a bullet and consider myself lucky. It could have ended up much worse if I had floored the gas instead of hitting the hazards and slowly making my way off the road and calling for help. However, I, and hopefully some of the more skeptical about CAI's, can see how much punishment an intake can take before hydrolock occurs. I just thought I'd share for some discussion.

BTW for the mods, I didn't think this fit in the performance section, nor really knew where to put this. So sorry in advance if it's in the wrong spot.

bring it to autozone... as long as u never unpluged the battery.. itll show up in "history codes"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.