Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference in how a cai and sri are made?

·
Registered
496 Posts
what do you mean? the cai has a longer tube and it goes deeper into the wheel well for cooler air....and the sri has shorter tubing so it stays in the engine compartment....is that what youre asking?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so there is no difference in the type of tubing or the air filter or anything?

·
Registered
653 Posts
no the only things to look at are

SRI
Pros:
Generally cheaper
hidden more from the elements (water, snow, dirt etc...)

Cons:
warmer air being pulled in

CAI
Pros:
cooler air being pulled in
generally more expensive

cons:
closer and more opt to the elements

·
Registered
498 Posts
I remember a few years ago my brother-in-law was driving his 4-wheel drive Ford pick through some trails, went through a puddle of water and got stranded. I had to go pick him up in my Chevy S-10 which had no problems going through the water. His intake was down by the wheel well and he sucked in a bunch of water and ruined his engine. That's another reason I've always been a Chevy man :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I remember a few years ago my brother-in-law was driving his 4-wheel drive Ford pick through some trails, went through a puddle of water and got stranded. I had to go pick him up in my Chevy S-10 which had no problems going through the water. His intake was down by the wheel well and he sucked in a bunch of water and ruined his engine. That's another reason I've always been a Chevy man :)
ya if you live in that kind of environment, best to stick w a SRI since its up in your engine compartment. i just order a K&N SRI myself.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oook. im about to order the injen sp series so i can change from CAI to SRI, its only 268 on this one site and it has free shipping too. i cant wait!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
oook. im about to order the injen sp series so i can change from CAI to SRI, its only 268 on this one site and it has free shipping too. i cant wait!!
thats actually pretty damn good. i got mine for like 255, and its just an sri. I felt that I would be too lazy to change from the cai to the sri, so i just got the sri, lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats the same way i feel so im gonna put it on at sri and then maybe change to cai when i get a day that im bored and have nothing else to do. and i got it from injenairintakes.com then i found it for a lower price at another site so they lowered it to 268 with free shipping

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that too

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
you pretty much have to submerge your filter in water to hydro lock you motor. if your in water that deep you have all kinds of issues!
the cobalt has the plastic shield around the inner wheel well to the front bumper. that will pretty much alleviate water getting up there. a hydro shield on the filter wouldnt be a bad idea though. especially in dusty areas.

·
Registered
496 Posts
For me in MN we get snow and what-not so I went with a SRI just to be safe.
i live in AZ so its bone dry....but the SRI just sounded more appealing since its got that better low end power

·
Registered
496 Posts
better safe then having to pump water out of your engine, hahaha

·
Registered
496 Posts
you pretty much have to submerge your filter in water to hydro lock you motor. if your in water that deep you have all kinds of issues!
the cobalt has the plastic shield around the inner wheel well to the front bumper. that will pretty much alleviate water getting up there. a hydro shield on the filter wouldnt be a bad idea though. especially in dusty areas.
hmmmm, i might have to look into that since my area is dusty. would the hydro shield restrict air flow?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
hmmmm, i might have to look into that since my area is dusty. would the hydro shield restrict air flow?
im not "for sure." if it does, it would be so minimal it wouldnt make a noticeable difference. they are made for that application. and besides, with the minimal difference, its worth protecting you engine IMO. only thing is you may have to clean it more often.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
im sure its fully washable though right?

·
Registered
496 Posts
im not "for sure." if it does, it would be so minimal it wouldnt make a noticeable difference. they are made for that application. and besides, with the minimal difference, its worth protecting you engine IMO. only thing is you may have to clean it more often.
well i just ordered a K&N SRI. does K&N make a hydro filter? Ive seen one that Injen makes, but would that fit over the K&N filter? I imagine it would.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.