Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to get a cold air intake for an 08 cobalt LS but i cannot find any for anything past 07... where can i find one?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
lol........... see the thread i started......... titled fujita intake
everything is there

·
Registered
142 Posts
Injen would be the best choice for a cold air intake since it drops into your fender. If you prefer a short ram IMO the GMPP Short Ram Intake is excellent and very easy to install. I have one on my 07 SS/NA and love it. No CEL, made by GM, tested by GM and will not void your warranty. I don't think any other intakes will either but I went with GMPP to keep it all GM. :) With the air box mod in addition to the GMPP intake it runs very well. I stayed away from the K/N intake due to the oiled filters they use and the tendency to throw CEL.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
but with k&n you dont need an "airbox mod" and i dont really care for how the gm intake sits in like "half of an intake box".

and for the record, my k&n has never thrown a cell at all in 3 years. although some do come over oiled from the factory, it is not a problem at all. it would literally have to be saturated with oil. what causes an oiled filter to throw a CEL is it being over oiled and then some of the oil gets on the MAF. clean off the MAF and clean the filter then reoil it using less oil and your golden. that is if your one of the rare people with this situation

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this gmpp intake how much is it and how easy is it to install? how much hp and mpg should it add?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
which would be the best to get injen or k&n? what are their prices and added hp? n how easy is the installation?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive heard like 11hp is that true?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
ive heard like 11hp is that true?
Redline TV did a show with an 06 Cobalt LS (2.2 w/SAI -- didn't show what they did with the SAI tube) where they added the Injen intake and GMPP performance exhaust. Dynos that they did on the show gave 8 HP for the GMPP exhaust and 7 HP for the intake.

K+N claims more HP -- check their website.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
intakes are easy to install and they almost always all claim higher horse power then you might see. from an intake your only going to see anywhere between 7-11. thats about it.

as far as which one out of the injen or k&n is better, it all depends in what you want and if you have the SAI. if you have that then the k&n is the way to go. if you dont have that then it comes down to what you want to run. the injen can be run as a CAI (cold air intake)(which nets slightly more horsepower then a SRI because it goes down into the fender area to get ""cooler" air) or it can be run as a SRI (short ram intake)(which stays in the top of the engine bay) as well. so you kinda get 2 intakes in one for a decent price. if you only want to run a SRI then the k&n is what you want

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
well if you have the SAI u have to get the K&N but if you dont u can get injen
i dont have my intake yet because i havent ordered it so i cant tell u,

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
which is still more then the injen and k&n at most places ive found. and it doesnt matter what intake or exhaust you decide to go with. they are all going to net around the exact same hp gain with the exception of a CAI netting maybe 2-3 more hp then a SRI. and there is no air box mod needed. the gm intake will work just the same as everything else. its your choice but why spend more money then needed?

not trying to bust your balls but there are better intakes out there for a better price then GM's and im not found of the whole air box thing. for people who worry about their warranties or want to spend that much extra money just because GM approves it then go ahead but honestly there are better routes

·
Registered
142 Posts
Everyone has there opinions.... To each his own. Just added my .02 worth. Works great for me. Maybe I might check out the Injen sometime in the future. As far as the air box mod you really don't have to do it. It's just a simple mod 20 minutes at the most to do. You can use the intake with or without the airbox mod. As far as the article it wasn't posted to show off GMPP parts it just shows the basic gain of the mods of an intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
yea i respect your opinion. and i wasnt trying to bust your balls. i was just staing my opinion on the different intakes as well based on a number of variables. i really like the k&n because i prefer a SRI but i think if someone wanted a CAI or cant make there mind up then the injen is the best route because you get 2 intakes in one for the same price as alot of other intakes. and yea i know what the air box mod is and that you dont have to do it. i was just getting at the fact that with other intakes there isnt that mod to do because there is no air box anymore.

its basically all in preference because they all do the same thing. does the gm intake have a spot for the SAI on certain models?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
So they don't even list one with the SAI? That's crazy....? LOL.. But what can you do. I prefer the SRI as well. That's why I went with the GMPP and I got it for $175 I believe when I bought it. Getting well known by the local GM dealer and being a tech. has it's advantages. LOL. This was about a year 1/2 ago when I purchased it. I just might go with an AEM or Injen just to see what if any performance gains I get. I will also be getting a 'stage 2' Jet Module also and selling my 'stage 1'.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.