Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm looking to put in a performance cam on my car and a little unsure what is all needed to do that as far as what other parts. On top of that I don't know if you all have any suggestions as to who makes the best and so forth, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Be aware that swapping cams in an ecotec is not an easy task. You need to know more than how to change a cam in a V8 engine. The timing chain alignment is critical -- best to have someone who is experienced do it. Once the timing chain is in place and the marks are lined up it takes something like 33 turns of the crank until they line up again to double check them. There is very little valve-to-piston clearance, and don't forget that the VVT moves the cams around, so being off by one tooth can lead to COSTLY repairs.

Also the ECM doesn't like changes to the airflow diagnostics -- it will most likely go into a limp mode or run terribly without ECM tuning.

I really don't want to discourage you but you need to do some "homework" on this engine and Performance cam installation.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Be aware that swapping cams in an ecotec is not an easy task. You need to know more than how to cahng cams in a V8 engine. The timing chain alignment is critical -- best to have someone who is experienced do it. Once the timing chain is in place and the marks are lined up it takes something like 33 turns of the crank until thye line up again to double check them.

Also the ECM doesn't like changes to the airflow diagnostics -- it will most likely go into a limp mode or run terribly without ECM tuning.

I really don't want to discourage you but you need to do some "homework" on this engine and Performance cam installation.
:) exactly what he said

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will make sure I know a lot, I know how to time and such the ecu is the only part I would have trouble with, mainly due to me not having a way to plug in. I do appreciate all the help on this subject.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Be aware that swapping cams in an ecotec is not an easy task. You need to know more than how to change a cam in a V8 engine. The timing chain alignment is critical -- best to have someone who is experienced do it. Once the timing chain is in place and the marks are lined up it takes something like 33 turns of the crank until they line up again to double check them. There is very little valve-to-piston clearance, and don't forget that the VVT moves the cams around, so being off by one tooth can lead to COSTLY repairs.

got me discouraged :suspicious:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.