Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think about grinding/machining our stock cams to work like stage 1, 2, or 3 cams?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Ummm, no.

I'd never "machine" a major part of the valvetrain....if your trying to upgrade cams...then buy them. That's just like going to a hospital and after you lose a ton of blood they do a transfusion from a AIDS patient.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm, no.

I'd never "machine" a major part of the valvetrain....if your trying to upgrade cams...then buy them. That's just like going to a hospital and after you lose a ton of blood they do a transfusion from a AIDS patient.
hahaha damn bro you didnt have to lay it on me like that :notrust:

i guess im just frustrated cuz they dont make cams for the 2007 balt and overheard some honda dude talking about remachining the lobes on the cams or something like that...to be honest i didnt think that was possible but i asked cuz im f***en desprate :embarrest:

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Im a 06 I was pretty close to getting stage 2 cams I said eff it not worth the $500 with the tune and I only wanted it for sound. And I might gain like 20 to 30hp

·
Registered
197 Posts
Im a 06 I was pretty close to getting stage 2 cams I said eff it not worth the $500 with the tune and I only wanted it for sound. And I might gain like 20 to 30hp
If you can get cams for these cars they are definitely worth it. 500 for 20 hp NA is about as good as your going to get in the HP/$ ratio.

I have an 07 and really wish someone made cams for my car too considering how easy they are to put on.

I would think machining your stock cams would make them smaller and let in less air. You usually machine blank cams that come with larger lobes so you can dial in how much air you want to let in safely. Otherwise doing it to stock cams would hold you back I would think anyway.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
If you can get cams for these cars they are definitely worth it. 500 for 20 hp NA is about as good as your going to get in the HP/$ ratio.

I have an 07 and really wish someone made cams for my car too considering how easy they are to put on.

I would think machining your stock cams would make them smaller and let in less air. You usually machine blank cams that come with larger lobes so you can dial in how much air you want to let in safely. Otherwise doing it to stock cams would hold you back I would think anyway.
Yes true but i quit modding the only balt ive seen bolted, cammed, and tuned made 170. And he spent big money doing so i guarantee it. If im gonna make power ill go turbo or supercharged, but im not going to no point putting big money into this car. If i wanted power I woulda got a SS.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes true but i quit modding the only balt ive seen bolted, cammed, and tuned made 170. And he spent big money doing so i guarantee it. If im gonna make power ill go turbo or supercharged, but im not going to no point putting big money into this car. If i wanted power I woulda got a SS.
Must have been a crappy tune because with an Injen CAI, 2.4 IM, 2.4 TB, Long tube header, hi-flow cat, and full 2.5in exhaust and tuned you should easily be able to get 170Hp. That is without cams. Since 07's cant get cams at least we have to option to get HP tuners which wont make as much as cams but can make the other bolt-ons work a bit better than Trifecta.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Must have been a crappy tune because with an Injen CAI, 2.4 IM, 2.4 TB, Long tube header, hi-flow cat, and full 2.5in exhaust and tuned you should easily be able to get 170Hp. That is without cams. Since 07's cant get cams at least we have to option to get HP tuners which wont make as much as cams but can make the other bolt-ons work a bit better than Trifecta.
I believe he is referring to cobalttom who got about 188 or so with stage 2 cams. He also shaved the cylinder heads, did a port and polish and upgraded the injectors plus all the bolt ons. A 200hp NA motor on a 2.2 is something I haven't seen yet. For full bolt ons its about 170whp.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I believe he is referring to cobalttom who got about 188 or so with stage 2 cams. He also shaved the cylinder heads, did a port and polish and upgraded the injectors plus all the bolt ons. A 200hp NA motor on a 2.2 is something I haven't seen yet. For full bolt ons its about 170whp.
Cobalttom is who I was referring to. He gained alot from his mods but as Camo said 200hp on a NA would be hard. Hers his link http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/vehicle-showoff/11821-cobalt-tom-2006-chevy-cobalt-ls-auburn-wa.html

Keep in mind these cars have like 120 to 130hp to the wheels tops when stock

·
Registered
197 Posts
Cobalttom is who I was referring to. He gained alot from his mods but as Camo said 200hp on a NA would be hard. Hers his link http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/vehicle-showoff/11821-cobalt-tom-2006-chevy-cobalt-ls-auburn-wa.html

Keep in mind these cars have like 120 to 130hp to the wheels tops when stock
Those vids are old. He just posted his updated set-up on another forum im on and has a better flowing exhaust with a 3in catback and fixed the tune. When he got 180 he was running super rich and now that he has that fixed he said he should easily be at 200hp.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Those vids are old. He just posted his updated set-up on another forum im on and has a better flowing exhaust with a 3in catback and fixed the tune. When he got 180 he was running super rich and now that he has that fixed he said he should easily be at 200hp.
Well glad to here, but to me definetly not worth it with these cars.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
yeah i wanna know the costs, the time, the tuning just to make 200whp na. I mean he still has to run higher octane fuel right? For probably and extra $500-1000, get 30-40 more hp. Get an M62

·
Registered
611 Posts
I thought for 07's you just had to have the cam sensor pressed on...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I plan on going N/A with full bolt ons and a dyno tune. I am only 17 and this is my second car, so it has to last. It took so much to save up for it and Im not taking the chance to boost it and have it accidentally blow up. This car is going to have to last me through college and if I can make 170whp that is enough to surprise most people and keep me happy. I mean my LT weighs probably 2700ib so with 170whp and 156wtq it will beat most of my friends B16 civics that make 155whp and 100wtq that weigh 2500ib.

·
Registered
611 Posts
i <3 boost

·
Registered
197 Posts
I thought for 07's you just had to have the cam sensor pressed on...
Im not sure how hard it is but I have been wondering and really want to know.

http://www.*************/forums/showthread.php?t=127726

Notes regarding camshaft interchangeability:
�� The L61 (2.2L ECOtec) camshaft changed for the 2007 model year. This change was to go to a less
aggressive cam profile with less noise, less jerk, less impact load, and better valve dynamics.
�� The 2007 L61 intake cam cannot interchange with any other production ECOtec cam.
�� The 2007 L61 exhaust cam is interchangeable with the ‘06 L61 and the LSJ exhaust cams.
�� The 2006 L61 intake and LSJ intake and exhaust cams are the same casting. However, the LSJ cam
sensor is driven with a hex bushing pressed into the rear of the exhaust cam. In order to operate
properly, the production LSJ cam sensor requires a cam which has a hex bushing pressed into the
exhaust camshaft with the exact orientation in angularity to the cam.
�� The 2006 L61 cams and LSJ cams are the same profiles at different timings. The 2006MY L61
timings are 116 intake, -103 exhaust. The LSJ timings are 100 intake, -115 exhaust.
�� The LNF and LE5 exhaust cams could interchange. The LNF and LE5 cams are not interchangeable
in any other way or with any other ECOtec cams.
Does that mean we can change the exhaust cam but not that intake one?

·
Banned
7,805 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I dont mean to thread jack or anything but when you upgrade cams is there anything else you have to have done besides a tune?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.