Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Cobalt LT coupe, fully stocked except for 5% tint all over and konig wheels.

For the past few months the engine check light came on for a couple of days then off for weeks then back on for days, off weeks, so forth until recently something was a little different so I decided to go and get the diagnostic codes.

Then I decided to go to a friend's friend's shop. They checked the spark plugs, among other things and told me to buy a new thermostat and camshaft position sensor and come back, they will replace them and problem will be solved. So I did.

As I left the shop my car did not start until the 3rd try. Happens every time I start. Returned to the shop with parts 2 days later.

Thermostat sensor replaced, and yes problem solved.

Prior purchasing the part, I looked online to find out the price for the part at O'Reillys; I saw "parts needed for this vehicle- 2" but I was told to get one. Camshaft position sensor replaced, codes erased and I was off on my way, STILL with the starting problem.

I went back this morning and they said they will take care of it tomorrow, suspecting that the camshaft position sensor is defective.

My starting car problem began when they removed the spark plugs and put them back. I am thinking, check the spark plugs? I dont have ANY tools.

Secondly, is there one or TWO camshaft position sensor on 2007 Cobalt LT 2.2L? :confused:

Third, if the camshaft sensor is replaced and the problem persists- what do I do next? I am going on a cross country roadtrip on June 2nd from Arizona.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
One cam sensor on 2007. If you plan on going on a long trip changing the plugs wouldn't hurt if you have more that 60K miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have over 120k miles on my balt. I just had my plugs rechecked and they are in good condition. Whats next?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Don't think plugs are good for that long. They might look good but probably wore out with such high mileage.

Iiridium tip is probably not even there anymore. Iridium plugs have a small disc of iridium welded to the anode and electrode. With time these will burn off or fall off. Here is a picture of a plug where the disc has fallen of the anode.

Same applies for electrode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My plugs are at .33

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Suppose to be .40. Did you look at the tips under a magnafying glass?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It's funny I got my plugs set at .32 and I get way better gas mileage compared to the recommended .40 lol
Probably getting better mileage because you got new plugs not because they are gapped closer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is it still taking multiple cranks to start? Check to see if fuel pressure drops after shutting it down.....could be priming when your attempting to start due to bad valve in fuel pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.