Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 98 sunfire (manual transmission); shop says the seal could have failed due to the car being lowered (~1 – 1.5 inches on coilovers), saying it affects camber which somehow affects the transmission (I’m not clear on exactly how)? I want to know if it’s possible or if it's highly unlikely.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Being lowered only 1-1.5 inches really isn't that much...I mean, I don't think ff_drift_lol has even had issues, and his car is slammed.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being lowered only 1-1.5 inches really isn't that much...I mean, I don't think ff_drift_lol has even had issues, and his car is slammed.
That’s kinda what I was thinking as well but it is a different body platform so I don’t know how much difference that makes? I just don’t see why the shop pegged being lowed the issue and not the age of the vehicle. How would they be connected? Just the fact that being lowered is harder on the car in general?

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Personally, I would attribute it more to age, how it was driven, and the condition of roads that would cause a transaxle seal to fail. We're talking axle seal, correct?

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
But out of the axle housing? Or elsewhere?

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Haha, all right

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The only way I can see there being a connection is if the axles were very much out of their regular operating range and somehow put extra loading on the transmission case from especially harsh road conditions.

In this case however, the drop is nothing.. So they don't know what the fudgecake they are talking about......

·
Registered
931 Posts
thats odd, yesterday i noticed my axel seal on my cobalt is leaking... i am lowered 2 inchs... called the dealer and they said its covered under powertrain, now u got me thinkin...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only way I can see there being a connection is if the axles were very much out of their regular operating range and somehow put extra loading on the transmission case from especially harsh road conditions.

In this case however, the drop is nothing.. So they don't know what the fudgecake they are talking about......
It's not lowered a lot but the supsension is pretty damn stiff. Can that put extra strain on the axels?

thats odd, yesterday i noticed my axel seal on my cobalt is leaking... i am lowered 2 inchs... called the dealer and they said its covered under powertrain, now u got me thinkin...
How long have you been lowered?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It's not lowered a lot but the supsension is pretty damn stiff. Can that put extra strain on the axels?
Well you know.... Thats like saying I go autocrossing in my car, will it put extra strain on it?

lol

It shouldn't have any impact, but the fact is that it is an aftermarket modification and will in general be more harsh on the car. Personally, that mechanic is talking a load of bullspit. I dunno about that sunfire, but the lowest point of the chassis on my Fiero is roughly less than 3"... Needless to sad that I've bottomed it out a few times and the ride is pretty harsh when I get in the bumps. Will it cause my tranny seal to go bad? Nope.... Will the conditions I drive in and the state of my shocks/struts determine how long the rest of my suspension will last without failing? Yes.

But yeah, once again.. I'll be willing to put golden marbles on the table that it has no correlation in your case.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Being lowered 1-2 inches isn't going to make enough of a difference to make a seal fail. I think the Mechanic is talking out of his ass mainly because it is easy to blame the aftermarket modifications for a failure. It is the same as the dealership trying to duck covering a bad catalytic converter because you installed a CAI.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But out of the axle housing? Or elsewhere?
It was leaking out of the seal where the half shaft goes into the transmission. Is that the same thing you were talking about, or something different?

Being lowered 1-2 inches isn't going to make enough of a difference to make a seal fail. I think the Mechanic is talking out of his ass mainly because it is easy to blame the aftermarket modifications for a failure. It is the same as the dealership trying to duck covering a bad catalytic converter because you installed a CAI.
haha... yea but the car is well out of warranty anyway. The mechanic who actually fixed it said he didn't know what caused it to leak so they partially reedemed themselves. He also noted that the transmission was rebuilt sometime in its lifetime... I dunno if that would make a difference in the seal though. I'm just attributing it to age & how the car was driven (beaten on daily, lol).

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
It was leaking out of the seal where the half shaft goes into the transmission. Is that the same thing you were talking about, or something different?

haha... yea but the car is well out of warranty anyway. The mechanic who actually fixed it said he didn't know what caused it to leak so they partially reedemed themselves. He also noted that the transmission was rebuilt sometime in its lifetime... I dunno if that would make a difference in the seal though. I'm just attributing it to age & how the car was driven (beaten on daily, lol).
Yes

And Yes.

I don't know about redeeming himself, moreso admitting he doesn't know what happened. Which is fine. It's most likely abuse and age. Seals fail over time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.