Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
It is true that dex-cool breaks down, I have seen it in higher millage cars, but so does just about every other antifreeze, it is not only the antifreeze that is breaking down but so is the rest of your coolant system components, your hoses and everything else starts to degrade and particles from these are picked up and help create the sludge. I don't care what GM or any other manufacture says, I change coolant every 50 K on every vehicle I have owned.
This ensures the petcock valve does not cease for one and you drain it all out, flush it with water, drain it all out, refill with Dex-cool, clear air out of the system and you have new fresh coolant for another 50,000 miles all for less than $50.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Problem with dex cool is if you let it sit for a while with out driving it it will break down and can start to eat away at the gaskets on a vehicle. If you choose to change it out, make sure the system is flushed completely to get rid of all the dex cool in the system and motor, then fill it with regular water/green anti-freeze mix.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i don't like dex cool in iron block engines, but for an aluminum engine like the ecotec, there's no corrosion to worry about. dex cool is notorious for creating sludge in iron blocks and steel radiators. we have neither. if you want to switch to conventional green coolant you must do a coolant system flush, and i reccomend using an additive to really clean everything out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.