Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently on Eibach sportlines but i wanna go lower. So im torn between B&Gs, H&Rs, and I wanna see the drop on Teins. DONT WANNA BREAK THE BANK WITH COILOVERS so dnt say "get coilovers" -_- Whats ur guys' input on these springs?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I love my B&G's but you'll have to cut one coil off the bottom of the front springs to equal the ride height out...oh wait...you have a 4-door...this doesn't happen on 4-doors.

B&G's look sick on sedans. Ride is great. Go for em.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Get ZZP's SSC Springs. Im amazed on how many people do not know about these springs. They are very very nice. No harsh ride and they sit lower then sportlines. For the price. WELL WORTH it. Ive been on mine for 5+ years and they still look the same, no sag.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was also thinking of k sports
i MIGHT be selling the eibachs, they have about 20k miles on them

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

Get ZZP's SSC Springs. Im amazed on how many people do not know about these springs. They are very very nice. No harsh ride and they sit lower then sportlines. For the price. WELL WORTH it. Ive been on mine for 5+ years and they still look the same, no sag.
SSC springs you say? hmm anyone got pics of a sedan sitting in these?

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

I just installed Ksports, good drop for only $136. lol
can u post a pic of ur car with the ksports on?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Google Canuck Motorsports. They are Canadian and they make the 'SSC' springs that ZZP sells. They're $149.99 US from CM before shipping. They're what I plan on getting. They ride nice, and they look good and they help with handling in FE1 cars. All around good purchase.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I don't know where you are getting that SSC are lower than sportlines, bit that is NOT true.. they are great springs though! I had them before my pedders. I miss the drop but the ride is better with the pedders. SSC is my second fav behind pedders for sure.

O.P. I recommend Coilovers if you really want to go low. If you go much lower on stock struts it will ride like shit and you will sacrifice performance..

·
Registered
78 Posts
ne one got the sprotlines on a 2 dor i can get tge ebiach pros for 225 ne got picks of them tho i dk if im gonna want it lower tho cus its only 1.4" in the front and 1.5" in the rear

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

or would it b better to go with the sportlines are the same prices or i can get h and r too for the same p[rice so what would you guys recomend

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know where you are getting that SSC are lower than sportlines, bit that is NOT true.. they are great springs though! I had them before my pedders. I miss the drop but the ride is better with the pedders. SSC is my second fav behind pedders for sure.

O.P. I recommend Coilovers if you really want to go low. If you go much lower on stock struts it will ride like shit and you will sacrifice performance..
cant afford coilovers :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
sportlines or SSC from zzp
im between these two to lower mine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Searching for the best drop/ride combo

As are you, I am looking to drop my stance a bit. I am looking for pics of a late model sedan on the FE5 shocks/struts with Pedders> Anyone out there riding on this setup? I have heard that the FE5 shock/strut setup will drop about 0.5-0.6" (roughly) and the Pedder springs should drop another 1.2-1.5" Will this give me cummulative drop of approx. 2.1"??
I have been researching this to death and I would really like to settle on something.
Any help??

·
Registered
372 Posts
[/COLOR]

can u post a pic of ur car with the ksports on?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, havent got on in a bit. lol. Sedan on Ksports-

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

They've settled a bit more now. I'm slightly tuckin in the back now, thinkin about takin the fronts back out and cuttin a coil out for moar low.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Ksports 2-2.5, one coil cut from the front.

I thought the only springs SSC made for the Balt was a 1.3-1.5?

Also 'quoted from Blazerlow" so I don;t have to write it..

I don't think people understand something about shocks and struts compared to springs.

Springs are what keep your car at the level it sits at. Shocks and struts just dampen the bumps in the road and help the car handle around corners.

Shocks and struts have nothing to do with the ride height of the car, springs are what control the ride height.

Tho I completely agree with Blaze's statement, I have heard people say converting from FE1 to FE5 gave them .5 inches of drop, I could maybe believe this but not an inch. One guy in a thread I read measured from start to finish on a FE5 swap using FE1 springs, the only variable being the shocks and struts, He dropped 8mm in the front and 10mm in the rear.

"Quoted by ME"

A spring is a spring is a spring, period. The only difference is whether they are progressive or linear and the spring rate. Drop does not matter, the coil winding are accounted in for that for correct spring rate. A $400 set of springs that are progressive is the same as a $150 set of springs that are progressive as long as the spring rate is the same. No spring rides like stock, and if you don't believe it pull your lowering springs off and put your stock springs back on and ride around for a week now reverse the process you will see a noticeable difference with any brand. Half of yo running a few select companies and are all made by the same manufacture but just re-branded.

A thread of mine from another forum.. for anyone wanting to upgrade to FE5 parts.

I have noticed this topic being posted on various forums multiple times, so hopefully this will answer any and all questions. If you disagree with any of the information or have something to add please post and I will make corrections or update.

[big]The FE1 Suspension.[/big]
19mm front stabilizer bar
16mm welded rear stabilizer bar
The front lower control arms are stamped steel

[big]The cars with FE1 Suspension[/big]
2005: Base, LS, LT
2006: LS, LT, LTZ
2007: LS, LT, LTZ
2008: LS, LT
2009: XFE, LS, LT
2010: XFE, LS, LT

[big]Upgrading the Suspension[/big]

[big]Front Antisway Sway Bar[/big]:

SS/SC FE5 24mm Swaybar 05-07 Cobalt: Part # 15821093
SS/TC FE5 23mm Swaybar 08-10 Cobalt: Part # 15782696

To upgrade to an FE5 front antisway you must order 2005 SS/SC insulators.
2005 SS/SC Cobalt FE5 24mm Swaybar Insulator w/o ridge: Part # 22700091

There is only one way to have a mod free installation of a front anti sway bar. All 2006 and up FE3 and FE5 cars use a 2 bolt clamp with a insulator that has a ridge or hump in it. Every FE1 car uses a 1 bolt clamp and the Factory insulators do not have any ridges in them.
If you use the insulators posted you can use the already installed factory 1 bolt clamp that came with your car.

[big]Endlinks[/big]

Cobalt SS/SC FE5 05-07 Stabalizer Shaft End Link: Part # 20784688
Cobalt SS/TC FE5 08-10 Stabalizer Shaft End Link; Part # 20784687

You do not need to order the end links to install a FE5 Anti Sway but if you do, make sure to order corresponding parts, The SS/SC bar is different than the SS/TC Bar, not only in size but in shape. The end links are different lengths also. I have heard that you will not notice a difference if you order un-corresponding parts but why not match the parts up correctly if you are going to order them.

[big]Struts[/big]

Cobalt SS/TC FE5 Front Strut Left: Part # 19181251
Cobalt SS/TC FE5 Front Strut Right: Part # 19181631

All you need is the struts themselves, the top hats and all other components are interchangeable with the FE1 Factory components.

[big]Shocks[/big]

Cobalt FE5 Rear Shocks 2008-2010: Part Number # 25793745

The shocks are of course the same for right rear and left rear.

[big]Shock and Strut Package[/big]

Cobalt SS/TC FE5 Strut and Shock Package: Part # FE5-S (from CED)

Also..

Tenzos, & Zenn are all made from the same factory, Just rebranded. I did allot of research about 6 months ago on every different spring made for the Cobalt, I researched and called manufacturers ect. I wrote everything down because i wanted to write an article for everyone and I cannot find the paper but never the less, They are all progressive springs and the spring rate between coils and for the entire coil itself are all most identicle, from the 3 I listed above to K-sport, H&R, B&G's, Progress and the Eibach Sportlines. They are all virtually the same with the only difference being Customer service if you have issues, I sell Eibach at my shop and the customer service is outstanding, but I know a spring is a spring so I went cheap and got the K-sports and cut one coil off the front springs to give me a little rake. They all have coil bind the only spring that is made for the Cobalt that does not have coil bind is the Pedders but they do not offer a low drop. Oh and ALL 2-2.5 spring kits have reverse rake. All of them...

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Do you have a link Brew, If so please post it and where they are sold. I just looked at ZZP's website again and the only ones listed are the 1.3-1.5. And 6 months ago when i was calling around I found out that Cannuck Motorsports bought The SSC brand, SSC is not even made anymore and ZZp is jut selling off left over stock. Cannuck now sells them as their brand and Cannuck also makes dropzones.

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

If someone does still sell a larger drop SSC spring I would like to know so I can add it to the thread i have been working on.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Bassed on this pic that ZZP has on their site. The drop they list is for a SS.
So for us base models it would be a 2 inch drop then.

I was looking at getting the Cannuck springs directly from Cannuck. They have them for $150. They are saying 2 inch drop in the front.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.