Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all: this is probably a very stupid question, but what is the purpose of the big black plastic thing on top of the engine ? And can i use the car without it ?

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Yes, you can remove it and the car will be fine. You can also remove the oil fill cap, grab the tower that is under it, pull it out (with some work) and just screw the cap back into the valve cover so it looks like a normal engine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank u all for such a prompt response. much appreciated :)

Any ideas what is the real purpose of that thing, anyways ? OK, as StevoElsupremo mentioned it will keep the engine a bit warmer in cold days.

But how about the very hot Summer days - would the engine be better off by removing the thing and letting the engine cool better ?

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Engine covers are just the style now. It's been going that way since the euro cars started doing it a few years ago. They say it keeps the engine cleaner. I have never read anything saying it's done to insulate the motor.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
lol I was just farting around^^ lmao

I suppose its just to make the engine bay look "uniform" rather than wires, hoses and all that shit being seen, I have the Typhoon on and I left the engine over on, looks cleaner.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, i was searching the forums on this subject a bit last night, and somebody said that the paint on the hood above the engine may suffer from the engine heat if the plastic thing is removed. Any thoughts on that one ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My hood has insulation on the bottom of it, so that won't be an issue. Yours should have the same thing.
Thanks Will mpg.
lol, haven't used the car for 3 months, but today is a nice day (well, for us Canadians, 32 F is a warm day :amazed:) so i will check the insulation for sure.

cheers :)

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
There should be under-hood insulation. If there's not, someone stole yours...

But all that top-cover's purpose is mainly NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) control. Lowers engine noise a couple decibels.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi all :)
this is not that important, so i hope i'm not waisting ur time, but just wanted to give u my results after removing the "big plastic thing" from the top of the engine. So, finally a decent day here in Toronto, Canada, so i took the thing off and went for a ride, and here are some findings:

Engine temperature: 2 degC cooler (84 degC without, 86degC with). Sorry, Canadian Balts are in Celsius.
Engine noise: a bit louder but not bad.
Hood temperature after shutting off: a bit warmer, but don't thing that paint will suffer.

Now, it's cold here, so maybe in the hot summer day, these results will be different. My main concern would be the paint on the hood damage.

Good luck to all, and have a great Summer with ur Balts :noworry:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bit of a late response on this one, but here's the definitive answer: the SS/TC doesn't come with a cover, and it runs a hell of a lot hotter with the turbo and plumbing under the hood. It doesn't even have insulation on the hood.

I'd say your 2.2 is just fine with no engine cover.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I took the cover off last summer when I put my GMPP intake on, and I have had zero issues. There is still a shield on the bottom of the hood so I think you're fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.