Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the rear deck where the rear speakers are mounted, can that be taken out without too much destruction? Has anyone here done it? I have an idea for a rear speaker setup and need to remove it so I can rebuild it or just make an all new one from scratch. Instead of having 2 rear speakers I wanna have 4 and I wanna fiberglass the deck. I dont have a real need to, I just want to and it'll be something different.

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
So the rear deck where the rear speakers are mounted, can that be taken out without too much destruction? Has anyone here done it? I have an idea for a rear speaker setup and need to remove it so I can rebuild it or just make an all new one from scratch. Instead of having 2 rear speakers I wanna have 4 and I wanna fiberglass the deck. I dont have a real need to, I just want to and it'll be something different.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/install-guides-diy/7869-rear-deck-removal-coupes.html

Yes it can be done. I took mine out. You have to remove your headrests and the seatbelts, and all the plastic around all the rear windows to be able to remove it. Just follow that how too.

Just a heads up, theres not a lot of room under the rear deck. There are a lot of wires and a few electrical boxes of some kind there. If you want i can dig up a pic of the rear deck removed.

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 AM ----------

Heres what it looks like under there.....Sorry for the bad pic....if you want me to take a better one...let me know...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info!! crap looks like I'll have to move shit around too. Looks like I'm gonna have to mod that large ugly metal box too.

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
thanks for the info!! crap looks like I'll have to move shit around too. Looks like I'm gonna have to mod that large ugly metal box too.
Yep, I have plans for my rear seating area too....IM not gonna hijack this thread with that tho...lol. If you need more pics of the rear deck area with the deck fully removed let me know...im bored

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
i think you should post more pics of the rear deck

oh and how the hell did you get the damn seatbelt bolts out of the panels? that bolt is a ***** to get out
Patience and elbow grease, if you need to spray a little PB blaster ( Liquid wrench) in there. Helps a lot. You want pics of the bare deck....

---------- Post added at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 AM ----------

Well here is some pics so you have an idea of what your gonna be dealing with.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
from the new pics, I'll just have to plan carefully where I put the extra speakers and I'll have to cut some of that metal out. after that wires can be ran around all that. I just need to hide a second battery in there too tho lol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
could be for the security system.

i dont have onstar or Xm in my balt so that means less junk in my trunk. But I will be adding XM when I get my new headunit.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Another question: Does that metal piece have any purpose in the structural integrity of the car?? From the looks of the way that piece has been formed and assembled, there are many strengthening aspects of that piece. When you remove it and replace it with material with less load bearing strength, will anything bad happen down the road?? Such as doors not working properly, window seals leaking, or the trunk not working properly, and most importantly--how will it survive a crash??

I am an aviation mechanic and recently finished a school that touched on airframe maintenance that can relate here. The way that piece is formed and made, it looks like it has many strenghtening aspects, it looks like it may have some kind of structural form.

I would check with a pro before removing and going fiberglass or cutting more holes for extra speakers. Could cause problems down the road.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another question: Does that metal piece have any purpose in the structural integrity of the car?? From the looks of the way that piece has been formed and assembled, there are many strengthening aspects of that piece. When you remove it and replace it with material with less load bearing strength, will anything bad happen down the road?? Such as doors not working properly, window seals leaking, or the trunk not working properly, and most importantly--how will it survive a crash??

I am an aviation mechanic and recently finished a school that touched on airframe maintenance that can relate here. The way that piece is formed and made, it looks like it has many strenghtening aspects, it looks like it may have some kind of structural form.

I would check with a pro before removing and going fiberglass or cutting more holes for extra speakers. Could cause problems down the road.
I'm not removing that metal box bro. and if you really look at the pics its thin sheet metal spot welded together, NO strength in that crap.

·
Registered
821 Posts
well.... its definately not tin foil.... looks structurally sound and needed to me..... but my *ahem* rear isnt in pieces like yours is, so I cant say it is or aint. But i do know that its a lot stronger than what you are claiming it to be.

my .02 cents

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well.... its definately not tin foil.... looks structurally sound and needed to me..... but my *ahem* rear isnt in pieces like yours is, so I cant say it is or aint. But i do know that its a lot stronger than what you are claiming it to be.

my .02 cents
thats not my car torn apart. and i know what I'm talking about. and you'd be surprised how the car is built and how strong it really is.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
The way the metal is stamped and formed there shows many strengthening aspects, notice the spots where there are long oval type "bubbles" and other almost louver type stamping. That is a method to strengthen metal. We use aluminum that is the same guage or less, and that is how we strengthen the metal by putting those folds, bends and bubbles when we form a new piece.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know all about metal fab and automotive crap, I work in the industry! I've even worked in a foundry casting aluminum. You guys talk like I'm gonna cut huge chunks out of that metal box lol. I'm not gonna cut it at all if I can get around it but I will cut if I have to. I wont take any strength away from it as I'll beef it back up as needed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.