Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most modern/newer cars blink 3 times if you tap the blinker in a direction but dont click it all the way. For example, my gf's Jetta does this and I love it. Is there any way to program ours to do 3 blinks instead of one?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I love this feature, I rented a VW, I loved this, push the signal, but don't let it lock, it blinks a few times then stops, perfect for a lane change.

In theory, it should be able to be done, but it would involve some additional electrical components to make the power keep going even though the signal switch is off.

·
Registered
985 Posts
it might not be possible without programming it into the cars computer.
if its set to blink without any programming, then a timed relay may do it...sees the signal input, gets energized by an external source for XX seconds, and feeds power to the blinker. youd need two of them

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old school blinkers worked as a breaker and were the connection for the power to the signal. Nowadays everything is really just a button and the power is actually controlled by the computer. Is that how our cars work to or are our turn signals a breaker still? Id love to add this. It kills me to have to hold the damn signal.

·
Registered
985 Posts
pretty sure our are completely computer controlled. but the timed relay may still work

Hit the blinker quickly >> shoots a pulse to the relay and triggers it >> relay energizes blinkers for XX seconds. The only concern is if it would just leave the blinker light on constantly or if its set to pulse automatically when it gets a +12v. My thoughts are it will just stay on as if youre hitting the brakes....so I think you might be SOL.

hopefully that is straight forward enough to visualize lol.

relay would look like this (probably set for 5 seconds):

-----------------+12v constant------ | RELAY |
----------Turn signal trigger---------- | RELAY |
--------------DIODE(?)-------------- | RELAY | -------------------------------
^^BCM Side of turn signal wire^^ . . . . . . . . . . . ^^Light side of turn signal wire

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

you know what, after drawing that out, it will not work. your +12v wire should be the turn signal input also, otherwise you'll get a constant light output. only way to remedy that would be using a regular relay, but then its really doing nothing at all, so no, I dont think it will be possible. But someone else may have a thought on what to do.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Your theory would work partially. The problem would be when you lock your blinker and it automatically comes back to detent the blinkers would keep blinking for this same predetermined period of XX seconds. I'm sure there is a way around but I'd have to study the circuit diagram.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Your theory would work partially. The problem would be when you lock your blinker and it automatically comes back to detent the blinkers would keep blinking for this same predetermined period of XX seconds. I'm sure there is a way around but I'd have to study the circuit diagram.
How does it work on the VW?

Is it programmed in their BCM or something?

If not, can some access their servers and get a pinout, coby?
lol...

Your relay idea, but on a separate independent (besides the "pulse of power")circuit maybe?

·
Registered
985 Posts
yeah that crossed my mind as well, but 3 extra blinks after it unlocks wouldnt be that annoying id bet, you'd probably get used to it pretty quick.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
There might be a way around it. This might work. Values would need to be calculated and tried. X2 one for each side.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im halfway alright with electronics, but i have no clue what that diagram is showing me lol. Ill test it out if one of you guys can break it down for me;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
My new Impala has this feature, maybe a look up of the wiring diagram there may help, unless its completely BCM driver controlled.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

yeah that crossed my mind as well, but 3 extra blinks after it unlocks wouldnt be that annoying id bet, you'd probably get used to it pretty quick.
Your idea would be the simplest solution, those 3 extra clicks wouldn't be that bad either. The benefit outweighs that, also, less wear and tear on the stick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.