Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this just started happening recently. My amp for my interiors will turn off if i turn my music too high. it will completely shut off then 5 seconds later will go to protection unil i turn the music down. but the thing is this never happened before and this happns when i turn the music above 10, which really isnt that loud. now i checked all my grounds and all my power wires and everything is good, and the fuse is fine. i dont know what it is, im thnking i could be one of the fuses on the side of the amp could be bad. anyone got any ideas?

i also noticed that if i turn my sub off and play my music, i can turn the volume up much higher and the interior amp wont shut off! >=( wtf.

any help greatly apperciated.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got rocksford 4gauge. cant get much thicker =\

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Hmm, weird. your sure all the connections are all tight? and are they hooked up to a good ground?

·
Registered
52 Posts
you should meter your voice coil/ coils on your sub... It could very well be smoked. Have you changed your sub set-up since this or before this started happening? You could be running to great of an ohm load... Do you know what your amp can handle for ohm load rating.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i havnt checked the voice oils on my sub, didnt think too because its not my sub that isnt working. its the amp for the speakers.

and yeah its all wired right and tight, i havnt touched anything for a long while and it just started happening out of nowhere. and yeah its connect to a good ground, real tight to the chasis underneat the seat, and all wires were soddered not just twisgted and taped.

i did notice however, this started about a week ago, and i have gotten tweeters installed about 6 weeks ago or something. i just noticed one of my tweeters is not working. im not sure if its blown or there is another problem. is there a way that these two things could be connected. my buddy told me the tweeters were pretty hard to blown, bcause first there silk, and second there alpines. and i havnt really pushed them that hard.

?????!?!? this is very frustrating. i dont want to bring it to some scum bag audio shop because im to scared they make a copy of my key and cme steal my shit some night. ive got like a 3k$ system in there, too much risk.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Well you don't have to worry about them making a copy of your key. You can only get one from the dealer

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you don't have to worry about them making a copy of your key. You can only get one from the dealer
REally!?!? that makes me feel alot better.

but how do you know you can only get from the dealer? my father drives a chevy tahoe and he got a key made at a local hardware store.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Was his Tahoe Chipped like our cobalts are?

as for the issue, it is most likely an overload on the system.......At the stereo deck, have you got the bass boost setting turned on? turn it off and give it a try. Mine was doing that too, until i turned off the bass boost

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
REally!?!? that makes me feel alot better.

but how do you know you can only get from the dealer? my father drives a chevy tahoe and he got a key made at a local hardware store.
I used to work at a place that made keys. thay had all kinds of keys. Honda, old chevys, fords you name it but they didn't have one for my car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got a second chipped key from a regular locksmith but they need the car and the original key to "program" the chip,and got one key (not chipped) to open dooors but will not start car, have that in a hide-a-key in case I lock my keys in my car ( yes I have done it).

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well that definatly makes me feel better, and no the chevy tahoes key does not have the computer chip thing in it.

thanks for the info guys. im gonna take my car to a audio shop and see what they find. ill let you knowwhat it was.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have a blown tweeter that could be it. Silk, titanium, etc... it really doesn't matter. Did the tweeters come with crossovers??? Could be one of those also. I do wanna say by adding the tweeters you could have dropped your ohm load. Are they seriesed or bridged? Did you notice the front stage getting any louder when the tweeters were added?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i thrw 0 auge wire from the batter then split off to 2 4 gauge wires for the amps, fixed the blown tweeter, and grounded evrtyhing to a different palce. And now it works, not sure which one did it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.