Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the B&M ShiftPlus+ GM and I'm loving it in stage one. Stage two well maybe for the track but not for a DD.
My question I have heard tidbit's of onfo in regards to the ecu learndown and I'm really not sure I understand how it works and how it will affect my ShiftPlus+ over the long term.

If anyone could offer some incite that would be great. Thanx..

ö

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
The learn down feature that is programmed into your ECU is what GM did to keep the power the exact same regardless of the modifications you have done to the car. It will automatically pull timing and adjust fuel levels and air levels to keep the SAME power that it had from the factory.

Seeing as tho your car is an LS, I honestly don't think you have that in your ECU as they really only put that on the SS models because they are boosted. That is a safety feature that GM put in there so people wouldn't blow up their engines with modifications to the engine with bolt ons, but it also assured that even with full bolt ons ect, they may SEEM faster but they actually aren't until they are re-tuned (thus voiding your warranty) unless you get the GMS1/2 kits. That is the learn down and reason for it. But again, I honestly don't think the 2.2/2.4's had that in the ECU. At least with all the ones I've tuned it wasn't in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The learn down feature that is programmed into your ECU is what GM did to keep the power the exact same regardless of the modifications you have done to the car. It will automatically pull timing and adjust fuel levels and air levels to keep the SAME power that it had from the factory.

Seeing as tho your car is an LS, I honestly don't think you have that in your ECU as they really only put that on the SS models because they are boosted. That is a safety feature that GM put in there so people wouldn't blow up their engines with modifications to the engine with bolt ons, but it also assured that even with full bolt ons ect, they may SEEM faster but they actually aren't until they are re-tuned (thus voiding your warranty) unless you get the GMS1/2 kits. That is the learn down and reason for it. But again, I honestly don't think the 2.2/2.4's had that in the ECU. At least with all the ones I've tuned it wasn't in there.

Thank you for your great write up. Very helpful. I really love how she shifts with the kit and was hoping the ecu would not slowly set it back to stock.

It just shifts like it should now great addon . Stage 2 is abit too much, maybe good for the track....

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
The Learn down is for the engine, not the trans so you should be fine :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.