Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old 1995 Neon Sport handled better then my 2005 Chevy Colbalt.

Neon Suspension:

Fully independent Mcpherson.
It includes urethane jounce bumpers, front sway bar on vehicles equipped with touring or sport suspension, cast steering knuckle, cast one-piece lower control arm, bracket-type two-bolt strut-to-knuckle attachment and a suspension crossmember with a bobble strut attachment.

The rear suspension is a multi-link independent type with two lateral arms and a fore-aft tension strut on each side. It also includes Chapman strut dampers and urethane jounce bumpers.

Touring (SDC) Suspension Specifics Spring Rate (Front) 140 lbs/in
Spring Rate (Rear) 120 lbs/in
Front Sway Bar 20 mm
Rear Sway Bar none
Steering Ratio 18:1 (power assist)
Struts Stiff

My 2005 Chevy Colbalt LS

FE1 suspension
19-mm front stabilizer bar
16-mm rear stabilizer bar
Stamped steel front lower control arms

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but i thought the colbalt uses the same design suspension as the last gen vw golf and jetta and they handle fine.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You have a base model. FE1 suspension blows. Rear I-beam isn't exactly ideal for handling. No rear sway bar. There are alot of differences between the two. It can't be explained merely by terms of age.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Also take a look at what kind of tires and rims you on both before you go blaming suspension for something.. I have 15s with winter tires now and it handles worse than a school bus with all my suspension mods, back when I was on summer setup it was MUCH better IMO.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Also take a look at what kind of tires and rims you on both before you go blaming suspension for something.. I have 15s with winter tires now and it handles worse than a school bus with all my suspension mods, back when I was on summer setup it was MUCH better IMO.
yup, a big floppy sidewall will make it sway in the breeze like crazy

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I am more of an appearance guy myself, so performance is not a priority for me
X2 but it is always a plus having upgraded suspension. It's not always for performance, it can be for safety too. You never know when you might need to do some maneuvers, and need good suspension to keep you from spinning out, and overall better maneuverability. That's one reason I modded mine. Or well rather swapped to FE5. Also if u do do performance in the future, u already have the handling done so its one less thing outta the way :nuts: Though I wont do brakes till I have f/i other wise its pointless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.