Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Simple answer is yes. It is highly recommended that you install AC Delco FE5 struts and shocks. If you use your FE1 shocks in the back with the shorter springs, the springs can actually fall out of place. The front, the struts will likely blow out quickly. So the correct FE5 shocks and struts need to be used to accommodate for the shorter springs.

Personally I will want to use the Eibach springs if I finally decide to do the lowered look. Not sure I want to though. I’m getting old and it’s harder to get in and out of the car these days. I’m not really that old, but getting into your 30s and having a dropped car is not as cool as when I was in my 20s. Actually the Eibach springs don’t get the car too low so I might actually do it after I install the aluminum control arms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple answer is yes. It is highly recommended that you install AC Delco FE5 struts and shocks. If you use your FE1 shocks in the back with the shorter springs, the springs can actually fall out of place. The front, the struts will likely blow out quickly. So the correct FE5 shocks and struts need to be used to accommodate for the shorter springs.

Personally I will want to use the Eibach springs if I finally decide to do the lowered look. Not sure I want to though. I’m getting old and it’s harder to get in and out of the car these days. I’m not really that old, but getting into your 30s and having a dropped car is not as cool as when I was in my 20s. Actually the Eibach springs don’t get the car too low so I might actually do it after I install the aluminum control arms.
So if I do install the lower springs I need to install fe5 shocks

·
Registered
438 Posts
It is recommended, yes. Unless you enjoy blown struts and a super bouncy ride. Then sure keep the FE1 stuff. Remember what I said about the rear lowering springs potentially falling out with FE1 shocks. You may end up with no springs. Haha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is recommended, yes. Unless you enjoy blown struts and a super bouncy ride. Then sure keep the FE1 stuff. Remember what I said about the rear lowering springs potentially falling out with FE1 shocks. You may end up with no springs. Haha.
Thank you I will keep that in mind for sure!

·
Say What again!
6,226 Posts
No, the SS (SC and TC, not the NA) cars have the FE5 suspension.

You'll want '08+ SS/TC FE5 struts and shocks - they're far superior to '05-07 ones for an SS/TC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

You'll want '08+ SS/TC FE5 struts and shocks - they're far superior to '05-07 ones for an SS/TC.

Thank you so much will order those in today

·
Say What again!
6,226 Posts
Good deal - you'll see an extremely large handling improvement, as well. GM did a lot of testing at Nürburgring with the SS/TC, and thus with the '08+ FE5 struts/shocks, you get to enjoy all of that research and development for a rather small amount of money (since the AC Delco FE5 stuff is pretty affordable).

I believe these are still accurate part numbers for the SS/TC FE5 struts/shocks:

LH strut- 19181251
RH strut- 19181631
Rear shocks- 25793745

·
Say What again!
6,226 Posts
It doesn't matter what lowering spring you get - the issue with the FE1 struts/shocks not being able to handle them is still the same.

ACDelco '08-10 FE5 struts/shocks are by no means expensive. This is one of those instances where it's going to cost you more in the long run, or could cause a safety concern. As @CodyATE6 mentioned, the FE1 shocks, as they were exponentially faster, can actually cause lowering springs to fall out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts