Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have purchased the harness and kit for my balt. The problem is when I go to put everything in, my headunit won't go in the whole way. The kit does line up and all. The vent or something in the back of the compartment is keeping it from going in the whole way. I was wondering if anyone else has had this dilemma with putting an aftermarket headunit in their balt?
btw.... It's an 07 if that matters. Any more needed info to help me get this damned thing in I will gladly provide.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yup hd to take a knife and cut out some of the black plastic thats back there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But that plastic looks like its a vent duct. And it looks like the metal "crossmember" inside needs to come out as well.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
OMFG this was the worst part of installing the headunit. That thing should come out, at least I saw a pic with it not in there. Anyway figure a way to cut that plastic out. The ducts are behind it so you have room to play but its tight in there. Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what is the point of the "crossmember"? I will give it hell tomorrow and update with how I made out. Thank you for your help in this BS dilemma I have run into.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i had the same problem. i just pushed it back till it bent far enough for mine to fit in there. i think the little metal tab is where the stock deck sat to keep it supported.

·
Registered
455 Posts
yeah that little crossmember back there was there to help stabilize teh stock head unit. if you notice theres a hole in the middle of it and theres a little knob on the back of the OEM one that fits into it. all i did was take a screwdriver handle adn whack it back a little bit, then wired up the head unit, put it in place, and tightened the bolts. as you tighten the bolts it will bend the piece back, and you'll get a good snug fit.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Mine went in fine. Didn't have to Bend anything back. Did you adjust the little screws on the side where the support brackets go. U should be able to move em forward so the din fits in right. The aftermarket radio might just have to stick out a bit. I wouldn't bend anything just in case u have to go back to ur stock radio

·
Registered
276 Posts
We pulled mine back out a few times, and the last time pushed on it a little bit and it popped all the way back. No idea why.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yea i had the same problem putting in my dvd player, all i did was take my time and tuck all the wires down far enough back there without cutting anything and it went in, just a lil of a pain cuz u have to tuck wires as u r putting the unit in. good luck

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
^ hahah i have heard of this issue. I think if you tuck the wires down and give it a lil force it might just stay there. THe guy @ best buy warned me about this when i was buying my harness

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have purchased the harness and kit for my balt. The problem is when I go to put everything in, my headunit won't go in the whole way. The kit does line up and all. The vent or something in the back of the compartment is keeping it from going in the whole way. I was wondering if anyone else has had this dilemma with putting an aftermarket headunit in their balt?
btw.... It's an 07 if that matters. Any more needed info to help me get this damned thing in I will gladly provide.
Where are you located? I have a great shop that Ive been working with in Staten Island... Be happy to make an introduction for you
Ed

·
Registered
21 Posts
So what is the point of the "crossmember"? I will give it hell tomorrow and update with how I made out. Thank you for your help in this BS dilemma I have run into.
So what is the point of the "crossmember"? To hold the white support nub from the factory HU in place so the factory unit won't droop. Just extra support for the factory head unit in the rear.

Sad to see people spend $200 + at a shop for them to get rid of this bar. That's an outrageous cost and they probably used a rotary tool to cut it. (Bad because think of where the fuse box is in relation to the shavings that would generate.)

I used tinsnips to cut the entirety of the molded plastic out of there; revealing the metal crossbar there. I then used a hammer/screwdriver to bend back the bracket enough to get clearance for my RCA out's. I could bend it back for a factory H/U if I wanted; but I don't see reason to downgrade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.