Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So my 2006 LS cobalt was acting fine when I took it to autozone to have my check engine light reset. (I fixed the issue before hand). After the associate resets the codes (apparently). I get inside the cobalt and the car is dead with the check engine light still on. I went back inside and ask the associate what he did. He said he erased the codes when I told him that the check engine light was still on. He said that I would have to wait until the car was restarted before it would reset.

So what I am asking is what could have caused my car to just die? When I place the key inside and turn the key the anti theft is on solid. Then it blinks. Did my chip in my key mess up? Ignition? Anything you guys could offer will help a million.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Quick like fire, although we're sorry that you're having these troubles with your Cobalt!

Hopefully some more technically savvy members will chime in here to help you out soon. As customer service, I don't have access to much technical information to help trouble shoot or with DIY fixes. However, if you have questions about working with a dealership, recalls, or warranty, I can help with that! You can contact me either by private message or email (see my signature) - be sure to include your name and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

All the best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Probably blew a fuse....

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you check the BCM fuse in the trunk near the battery?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
50 amp maxi fuse.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The larger one of these...

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Is it suppose to be connected to something or just sit there the big red fuse?
What do you mean? It's in line with the B+ going to the "BCM", if it burns you ain't going nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Might not be making good contact, clean it and put it back in flipped 180° and try your car. You might need to disconnect battery for 15 minutes to resync all modules.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nothing happened. Same result. My starter is fine, my alternator is fine, my battery is fine. So it might be the ignition module or the brain? Can the chips in the keys go bad after a while? Should I try getting a new key and try that?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I kind of had this problem when I had to program yet another key to my car, this time without a keyless entry remote. Can you turn over your car fine? It Could be that your car theft system is in learn mode again. Let us know

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea it rolls all the way over fine. Just no vroom vroom LOL. I am going to go to chevy and have them make another key. If that doesn't work then I am going to start replacing parts beginning with the ignition system.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well then your title is misleading, all this time I thought it wasn't cranking. Check ignition 1 fuse and ECM fuse, don't just look at it, pull it out and check it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
What do you mean car is gone? ECM is not that expensive, seems a little impulsive to me. My dad used to trade his trucks when the ashtray was full.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.