Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably not the first to notice this but when you're in first and at 3K+ rpm and you let off the throttle the car doesnt smoothly decel... it kinda bucks so my question is...

would groundign the TB and increasing its responsivness fix this? or does it have nothing to do with that?

·
Registered
667 Posts
personally, as soon as i hit 2200rpm i go into second, but im on solid motor mounts, so that changes things. Id rather run low in second than high in first, simply because of how jerky first gear responds in these cars.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Why are you running past 3k in first gear? its a really tall gear, and by that point your gonna get buck and lurch as everything slows down. Its normal.
personally, as soon as i hit 2200rpm i go into second, but im on solid motor mounts, so that changes things. Id rather run low in second than high in first, simply because of how jerky first gear responds in these cars.
I concur

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
I have found that just letting off in 1st you get that jerkyness as you said when crawling through a parking lot or something. I let off the gas slowly when in first if going to second doesnt make sense and not fully let off and it stays pretty smooth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a hard time making a smooth 1-2 shift if I'm accelerating with any "spirit." I think I'm not letting out the throttle soon enough before I shift and RPMs don't drop low enough to match with 2nd gear. If it didn't buck like you all are talking about, I'd let off the throttle sooner lol. Guess I have to find a sweet spot.

But to the OP, yes, my car does it too and I'm on solid trans mounts. I don't know why Cobalts seem to do it worse than other cars. I've driven a lot of manual trans cars at work (Camaro, Mustang, Corolla, Focus, S2000, Ranger and S-10 pickup, etc) and none of them seem to do this as bad as the Cobalt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.