Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my struts/shocks put on all 4...it is still shaking as though I did nothing. I did find a small dent in my right front rim and I'm sure it needs an alignment but this sounds different. The steering wheel shakes and it sounds like something under the hood is loose. I checked the axles and both are fine. Anyone have any idea's? Hope I'm doing this correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW. It's a 2006 Cobalt LS with 126000 miles on it. That shaking and knocking is scaring me. Could my transmission be coming loose or could it be the steering colum?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Shaking when driving or braking? If you noticed a bent rim maybe you knocked off balancing weights on that wheel. Bring it to a tire shop and have them spin it on the balancer, they will be able to tell if your rim is too badly bent out of shape or if the tire is out of balance.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yup, basically what Coby said. Get it aligned and balanced to see if that fixes it. In the mean time, could you post a picture of this dent? If it's severe, then it might be contributing to the shaking.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Shocks & Struts wouldn't likely cause the shaking - the shaking is rotation-caused - so more than likely wheel weights, as mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Also you are seeing the bent part of the outside of the rim, who's to say what it looks like inside the rim. Plus if you hit a pothole hard enough to bend the rim you may also have broken belts in the tire structure which could also cause shaking and vibrations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!! I thought about it all night. I tightened some bolts but do know I have a rim bent rim and I'm sure I need my tires balanced and an alignment!! This place is a blessing!! Again thank you ALL!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
If you get a chance to post a picture of that bent rim, we might be able to tell whether or not that'd cause the shaking.

Just in case you don't know how, I like to upload my images to imgur.com, then use the direct link to the image and put it in the IMG tag like this:
Code:
[ IMG ]http://imgur.com/ImageUrl.jpg[/ IMG ]

·
Registered
1 Posts
How are your tires ? If the tires have no thread the car will shake. We had that problem with our 2008 chevy cobalt and as soon as we changed the tires (all 4- all used tires with good thread) that shaking minimized considerably- almost a smooth ride- but we need to do an alignment.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
I've had some rims with what seemed like really minor bends/dents in them shake like fricken crazy. It doesnt take much lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.