Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 LT Couple with OnStar and I'm looking to replace the speakers. I want better sound, but I'm primarily wanting to do it because I have that popular issue where my drivers side speaker doesn't work intermittently (usually when it's cold, which is odd) and it's driving me nuts.

I'm pretty sure I want to get an amp as well as I've heard it can really improve the sound of the speakers. I honestly just have no idea what I am shopping for. So I was hoping for some suggestions!

Here is what I've found so far, I'm thinking these might be a good choice:
Kicker 40CS674 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com Front
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CS6934/Kicker-40CS6934.html Rear

I haven't picked out an AMP yet, as I have no idea what to look for. I will say that I am looking to keep everything on the cheaper side but I don't want to sacrifice sound too much.

Also, if it's any help for recommendations, I'd like a heavy bass sound but I don't think I want to go as far as getting subs. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well you're not going to get a lot of bass from a 6" speaker. IMO, without an amp those speakers are probably too much for a factory radio. I don't know how much the Pioneer radio puts out, but it probably isn't much more than the ~25W the base radio has. The speakers you chose will do fine on the factory head unit or on the factory Pioneer head unit. I have heard good things about them. They would not be my first choice, however. If you get those, I'd suggest finding a solid 4-channel amp in the 250W range. Don't go cheap on the amp, since that is where the sound is coming from. A quality amp can make or break the sound in your car.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I have a Sony head unit with the kicker speakers front abf back an they sound really good. An amp would definitely make them sound better... and a sub and another amp. But then you're looking at spending a lot

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

The 6x9's in the back give pretty good bass for me. Not sub comparable of course but the 6's in front... not so much

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I always recommend RE Audio for any speaker. Hi-fonics makes a great amp too. Those would be my suggestions

·
Registered
353 Posts
Probably out of your price range, but Focal are arguably one of the best car speakers on the market. My front 6 inch Focal 165-A1 speakers, in combination with the Alpine PDX-5 Amp provide MUCH better base than my stock Pioneer subwoofer ever did. But you're talking ~$250 for the front speakers and ~$400 for the amp, which also powers a subwoofer BTW. FWIW :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Understand you're on a budget so...any inkling on how much you plan to invest in car audio would help w/recommendations. Otherwise, we could definitely do a great job spending your money. =8^)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Anyone have an opinion on the pioneer pro speakers, that's what I plan on getting over the summer, as well as adding the stock rear sub with upgraded sub in.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Pioneer pro is OK IMO. Not as good as Premier but noy as bad as base. Im not a huge fan of pioneer speakers anymor, they are cheaply made niw. The make good amps and Great hedunits tho, just not so well in the speaker department. Subs ars alright tho if you get the premieres

·
Registered
353 Posts
Anyone have an opinion on the pioneer pro speakers, that's what I plan on getting over the summer, as well as adding the stock rear sub with upgraded sub in.
Leveecius is right, I wouldn't go Pioneer for speakers, although I do have a Pioneer headunit (Z-110bt).
If you want some good base, stay away from the stock Pioneer woofer. You can only upgrade the (weak) stock speaker with a shallow mount one since there is so little space. Get one in a box from Crutchfield instead. Mine is only a 10" but it's sounds pretty good, it doesn't take up a lot of space, AND it's removable in 10 seconds :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understand you're on a budget so...any inkling on how much you plan to invest in car audio would help w/recommendations. Otherwise, we could definitely do a great job spending your money. =8^)
For 4 speakers and an amp I was hoping to keep it under $500. So I'm at $180 with those speaker choices.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Do you have the factory Pioneer system or no?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

I have my 07 base model and the stock system was horrible. The factory pioneer system in my SS is 100 time better then the base system was

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the factory Pioneer system or no?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

I have my 07 base model and the stock system was horrible. The factory pioneer system in my SS is 100 time better then the base system was
It's definitely stock, but I wasn't aware it's pioneer. I don't have the system that has a subwoofer in the trunk if that is what you are asking. I just have the stock radio/speakers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.