Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, last month, I went to best buy, and they installed a brand new sound system for me. Head unit, sub, amps, everything.

Since then, my car has been randomly starting by itself. I can't park in the garage in case it builds up CO, and I'm wasting a bunch of gas. I'm wondering; is this a problem with the Cobalt that just started, or is it Best Buy's fault?

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
They must've crossed some type of wire somewhere...but you NEED to have the key in the car to bypass the anti-theft...do you have a remote start?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have an autostart installed... but the car's started without the keys being touched.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i don't know about all that. if they crossed something then i would almost think it just wouldn't start up or it would just always keep running. is it an aftermarket remote start or factory i've seen tons of aftermarket remote starting systems go crazy and do that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
nor would i but even with those kind of items being put in... i mean you could mess the wiring up...but thats not so hard its easy to mess up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in a small rural town in Alberta, Canada. There's no car installation place in my town, and Best Buy was the most affordable, closest place to get it installed (About an hour away from me.)

I've heard the horror stories before but it was basically my only option. The only other place was $600 more expensive. I don't have that kind of money.

So, yes, I'm sorry for going Best Buy. But basically my question was, what are the chances it was Best Buy, or just a problem from the Cobalt and regular wear and tear? I take it from your guy's answers, it's Best Buy. I've called the manager and he's going to get me in, and they'll take a look at it.

Also, I have no idea if the remote start was factory or aftermarket. We bought the car used from a dealership, and it was already installed.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Well, my interest in the remote start is this: In order to have a remote start, the module must have a way to "appease" the anti-theft, and use the correct "chip" that is found in the actual key. These modules have a copy of what is in your key (different for every vehicle) - this explains the ability to start with no key in the car...and likely, something is shorting out, causing it to activate the remote start with no input from your key fob.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
yeah my car did this too after BestBuy had installed a crappy ****ing alarm. "nustart" base alarm. They messed something up somehow...the alarm worked alright for a while but then the alarm's ECU or wtv ****ed up and my alarm stopped working, my car would literally start on its own, I think when I pushed down the clutch (I drive a manual) and even without the key in...it was seriously messed. Went back and wanted my money back but it had been a couple of months so I could only get it replaced. Asked them to put in a viper 2-way alarm, and they were all like "we don't install viper alarms..they're a headache, they never work properly" I was like "well thats the one I want" etc. So they took out the old one and then it took them like over 4 hours to install the new one (there were 2-3 of them) and since then I haven't rly had many problems but they did have quite a bit of trouble installing the viper, especially near the end....
And I install all my own audio...nobody touches it lol.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They made it so your... standard car... would start without a key?

Now THAT is ****ed up. Anyways, Best Buy's going to look at it tomorrow. I reported it to them like, 4 days before the month ran out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.