Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Car turns on by itself.

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Hitowr 
#1 ·
So 1st off, hi every one, hope all is well. Let's get to it lol. Today/this morning, I get a message that my lights are on. Thought oh shoot, maybe I got broken into. The 1st time I came out, I seen nothing. The 2nd time I was told and came out, my lights were flashing. As if the hazards were on and only 2-3 times and then stop. Wait a min and do it again 2-3 times. So I went and got my keys to disconnect the battery until I figure things out. As I go to unlock my door, my car starts up. I mean the engine started up with out the key in the ignition. I hadn't even got the door open yet. It's a basic car. Manual locks and windows. No car alarm. No auto start. Just a basic car. No one has worked on it other than me. I did just last week replaced the alternator and put in a new battery. Hooked everything back up the same way. World, what can cause this to become possessed and start all by itself without the key being in it? #maximumoverdrive.

#2 ·
Sounds like previous owner added a remote start / car alarm.

Now please tell us what year and model you have so we don’t have to guess. Also give us some history on your Chevy. It does make a big difference to your pocket. Or your left with going to any auto repair and paying say $100 per guess.

#3 ·
Sorry. It's a 2007 chevy cobalt. I bought the car a yr ago bc of it's good gas mileage versus my dodge 1500. When I purchased it, I went for the base model. No power windows, etc. When I bought it through the dealer, I was given 1 key and told that was the only thing they had for it. They never mentioned a remote starter. I have never had the issue before nor have a remote for it. If it does have one, then some ones garage door remote must be causing it to start. I will have to search the car and see if I can find a remote starter for it. I have worked on my share of cars but this is my 1st. That makes more sense than it being possessed lol.

#4 ·
First thing to do is get a second key. If you loose or damage the key you have you will be in very bad shape. Say $5-$15 now vs $100-$500 later.

Now I am still needing to guess and must assume your Cobalt is an automatic.

Everything you state leads me to believe some past owner installed a aftermarket security system. Could be the used car dealer installed a car tracker / security system.

Search the forum here and find images and location of your BCM. Second, find images of your engine compartment fuse block.
These will be the primary locations to install aftermarket remote start/security system components.

#5 ·
Yes sorry. It is an automatic. I have never heard my horn go off or an alarm so not sure with an after market alarm but I sure think you are right about the aftermarket automatic car start. The problem only seems to happen where I live. No where else have I had an issue. Which leads me to believe that some one else has a remote to something that has the same code as the aftermarket automatic starter. I will have to look at what you suggest and let's me track down where it has been installed so I can disable it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.