Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there was a phone number on my car when I left for work this morning. I was wondered if someone had hit my car, but after doing a circle around the car when I got to work, I didn't notice anything. I finally got an answer this evening and was told that my car was possibly hit overnight. I checked it out. It was dark, but from what I could see, there is a long circular scratch on the drivers' side of the rear bumper. The has three rings. Then there is a pea-sized dot of paint that has been chipped away. No dents from what I could see. I can stick my finger in the scratches.

Is this something that could be resolved with some touch-up paint? Is this something I would get from the dealer?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I got on Yahoo! Answers:

"The 3+ circular rings you are seeing is where the bumper flexed when it got hit and the paint cracked. You can touch up the chipped spot, but the circular cracks can only be fixed by sanding and repainting the bumper.

I would suggest taking it to a body shop and getting an estimate just to make sure that what you described is in fact cracked paint."

I hope that is not the case.

I will take pictures when the sun comes up. I haven't been able to look at it in daylight. My car is silver, so it's not that obvious.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Since the culprit was honest enough to leave a number, I wouldn't mess with touch up paint. That's gonna look like shit no matter what. Take it to a body shop and have it fixed properly. It's not your money. That's what insurance is for :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here you go:

There is no depth to the scratches. Given the color of my car, you have to look really hard to see some of the scratches.

The black stuff at the bottom of the second pic is stuff that's been there that I just keep missing when I clean the car....

·
Registered
985 Posts
Id ask em for touch up paint and a coffee unless itll really bother you. Pretty nice of them to leave a number though :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Id ask em for touch up paint and a coffee unless itll really bother you. Pretty nice of them to leave a number though :)
That would bother the living daylights outta me. But then I know I'm not exactly normal :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to Maaco and they quoted me $270.

I have a friend who works at a big auto auction place for dealers. He said that touching up silver would be a little tricky because of the "metal flakes." However, I would be successful in making it less noticeable. My satisfaction with a touch-up would be based on my tolerance level. He said his place could paint the whole bumper with a better clear coat than Maaco for $150.

If I touch it up, I would Dupli-Color. I found this instructional video. Dupli-Color :: Projects :: Primers

I'm going to sit on it a few hours and then go from there.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
$270 is cheap, call the number and have them pay the cost to fix it. If your friend can do a good job and be done for less than be kind to the people who were kind enough to leave you a number. but make contact before going forward.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Get a dealer written estimate which will be close to 600$, then tell him what your friend is Willing to do it for. He will be happy that his mishap is only costing him 150$

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^Agreed, I'm still surprised at the generosity of this other driver. Must be in a nicer area.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get a dealer written estimate which will be close to 600$, then tell him what your friend is Willing to do it for. He will be happy that his mishap is only costing him 150$
Haha. Well, I do have a written $270 from Maaco.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
My daughter went skiing today and she wasn't as lucky as you, this is what she found when she got back to the car "Hit and Drive away". Looks like I need a new bumper cover.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just ordered a new bumper cover. 203$ I will replace it at the end of march.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.