Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Cobalt LT, it's equipped with a remote engine starter. My car wouldn't start and a clicking noise could be heard coming behind the radio. The key got stuck in the ignition because of this (manged to release with the white button under the steering). Nothing electrical will work in the car like the remote key, trunk release, lights, dash lights, etc.

It happened twice a week apart on the weekends and it's been really cold both days it happened. The temperature average were -15c (5 F) during the day and dipped around -25c (-13 F) at night.

Managed to get the car started by disconnecting the battery for around 5 minutes, reconnected and then boosted the car. Tested the battery and alternator with a multimeter and everything is working perfect on that front.

Anyone had a similar problem?

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
It's your battery

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's your battery
I tested the battery and everything seems fine, it's two years old. These were the voltage reading I got:
  • 12.6V when the car is off (before and after managing to turn the car on.
  • 10.5V when I turn on the ignition.
  • 14.5V when the car is on and the voltage doesn't dip with the lights, heater and radio on.

I would be surprised if it was a dead battery with these readings.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Put a meter on the battery with car off. Turn headlights on. Battery should not go below 12.3, if it drops to 10 volts you have a bad cell.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Try checking the boost post to see if it's loose or a corroded connection at the bottom of the post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remote starter is causing problems
Yeah starting to suspect the remote starter or the ignition.

It cuts the power when using the remote starter and also starting it with the key.

Noticed this today, for some weird reason if I touch the negative on the battery with a wrench for 5 second power comes back to the car. I'll clean the battery connectors this weekend see if it does anything.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
The boost post is under the hood.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Did you check the connections to the remote starter control box? Sometimes they can come loose, or the box itself fails...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Issue Solved

Update - I thoroughly cleaned the battery connectors a few weeks ago and that seem to have solved the issue.

The connectors seemed fine, but on careful inspection it had a thick grey crust inside of the connector. Crazy how something so simple to fix can cause you so much trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.