Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car won't start. Sounds clunky when it turns over. Ran fine when I parked it last night, just went out to try and start it and it won't. Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Now it won't turnover. Timing chain?

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Pulled the valve cover. Rockers laying in there broken, rollers just laying there. What could have caused this?

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Couple rockers are broke in half. May be more. This sucks balls.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sucks. Either the chain jumped or it broke. I'm trying to get the head off now to see if a valve hit a piston. Thats the only thing I can think of that broke the rockers. Chain is still tight though. We'll see when I get it apart. Getting the header back off is being a bitch.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Damn. That sucks. I hope this never happens to mine

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
have you started pulling the head off your car yet? Theres no change interval for a timing chain, supposed to be for life

·
Registered
563 Posts
yes unless the chain makes a ton of noise, then it doesnt need to be replaced. wont randomly jump. Valves should be fine, im pretty sure its not an interference head

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
no its definitely an interference motor.

·
Registered
563 Posts
yep just confirmed it

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I'd pull the head and find out what happened. Stuff breaking on these cars is caused by something, it's odd that it just happened last night after you shut it off tho.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
maybe the sudden jerk as the car finally stopped running and the quick snap of the starter this morning made something that was already on its way out finally snap.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It broke 5 rockers in half. Something definitely went wrong. I'm in the process of tearing it down now. Header is being a bitch. Plus it's 500 degress outside. I'm pacing myself fo sho. I bought a 2000 Saturn this morning. Going to drive that while the Cobalt is down. I'll post pics in a minute.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Here are a couple of them.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
anywhere from 50-200 bucks

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

I don't even know what those rockers are or do... lol I'm a beginner

2005 cobalt base model coupe
rocker arms transmits the motion of a camshaft rotating to the valve stems or pushrods which open and close the valves.. Basically levers..

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

My car won't start. Sounds clunky when it turns over. Ran fine when I parked it last night, just went out to try and start it and it won't. Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Now it won't turnover. Timing chain?

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Pulled the valve cover. Rockers laying in there broken, rollers just laying there. What could have caused this?

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Couple rockers are broke in half. May be more. This sucks balls.

Are you going aftermarket? or just OEM..

http://www.jcwhitney.com/proform-full-roller-universal-rocker-arm/p3066605.jcwx?filterid=c1678d17502u0j1

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I've never seen that happen! Must a made a mess of the pistons too. I think your best bet is to get a replacement engine from junkyard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.