Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think it might be the battery but I have to wait to see because I dont have anyone to jump my car but I left the power on for less than an hour while doing stuff and then when I went to start it theres just this loud clicking noise coming from the engine bay. Everything powers on but the car wont start. Also when I try starting it my door locks will unlock and lock.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Its all good just needed a jump. Guess I gotta go get a new battery soon.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would highly suggest for free from a local autozone or advance auto parts a slow charge

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If it's more than five years old, replace it. You can baby and doctor the one you have but eventually it's going to cause you grief at the worst time possible.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I still had an AC Delco battery so I ditched that and got a battery from Walmart with a warranty :) didn't know that is was the battery at first because my old car never did that when I had to get a new battery for my civic.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you make sure to get the battery with the vent?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vent???? I just got what they recommended

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Looked it up and found it. Old one wasn't connected. Installed it on the new bettery but where it connects to the bottom of the car is broken so I just jerry rigged it :) what's it even for? Seems dumb

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It's to vent toxic fumes outside the car so it doesn't seep into the seating area.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The toxic fumes is Hydrogen, it can cause explosions if vented wrong.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The danger with hydrogen gas is that it floats above everything else because it is lighter and on a long ride with low fan settings you risk falling asleep from lack of oxygen since your head also floats above everything else.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Leave the window down a crack from now on just to be safe

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I think OP vented the battery all right, I was specifying for others who might not understand the need for the vent tube. It sticks through the floor and when air streams by it actually creates a small vacuum that keeps negative pressure on the tube to make sure it extracts the fumes if any develop.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya I fixed mine so its working properly. They should of just stuck the battery up front under the hood lol. Every time I jump someone else they always look at me weird when I pull up to them with the rear of my car facing towards them.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You have a boost post under the hood btw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.