Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was thinking of getting a vinyl for my trunk and hood since the clear coat is peeling off does anyone know whats a good vinyl?

·
Registered
981 Posts
3m vinyl is pretty good, so is avery. My buddy just did this with his hood and roof. before you wrap it make sure its clean, there is also a vinyl wrap adhesive primer you should use.... my buddy had his done with with the 3D carbon fiber vinyl form ebay, it looks pretty damn good, for him getting it all done for less $100

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3m vinyl is pretty good, so is avery. My buddy just did this with his hood and roof. before you wrap it make sure its clean, there is also a vinyl wrap adhesive primer you should use.... my buddy had his done with with the 3D carbon fiber vinyl form ebay, it looks pretty damn good, for him getting it all done for less $100
This adhesive primer what is it?
Is it just to give it a nice shine
and well i want a wrap that makes it look like a real carbon fiber hood
I know a shop that charges 150 for the hood and 100 for the trunk they use 3m but it rather do it myself and just buy the wrap it doesnt look that hard but i dont have a heat gun any idea where i can get one? Or can i use a hair blow drier? Lol

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
The primer is called primer94. You really only need to use it on the edges to keep it from peeling. Also get a felt covered squeegee.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I install vinyl wraps and decals professionally, i have never used any sort of primer and have not had any issues. The main thing is to make sure it's 110% clean! I clean normally first to get off all the debris then go over the whole area thoroughly with paper towels and rubbing alcohol, this removes any residue from the cleaners. I usually go over the whole car with the alcohol first, and then do it again on each panel just before laying on the vinyl. Make sure to clean the underside of the hood and trunk about two inches in to car the dirt and you should have no problems. Also with heat if you decide to use it, (which on the trunk you definitely should) don't just heat and apply, heat the vinyl until it wrinkles then smooths out again, let it cool down, and then work it around corners, this way you avoid getting stretch marks. That being said, 3m scotchprint all the way, the air egress channels make it a lot easier to avoid air bubbles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I install vinyl wraps and decals professionally, i have never used any sort of primer and have not had any issues. The main thing is to make sure it's 110% clean! I clean normally first to get off all the debris then go over the whole area thoroughly with paper towels and rubbing alcohol, this removes any residue from the cleaners. I usually go over the whole car with the alcohol first, and then do it again on each panel just before laying on the vinyl. Make sure to clean the underside of the hood and trunk about two inches in to car the dirt and you should have no problems. Also with heat if you decide to use it, (which on the trunk you definitely should) don't just heat and apply, heat the vinyl until it wrinkles then smooths out again, let it cool down, and then work it around corners, this way you avoid getting stretch marks. That being said, 3m scotchprint all the way, the air egress channels make it a lot easier to avoid air bubbles.
Sounds complicated lol but im willing to try it and learn something new

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.