Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd say hello as I will probably be lurking around here now. I did the cash for clunkers deal on Saturday, I traded in my '94 Ford Explorer for an 09 Cobalt XFE for my commute to work. Only a couple hundred miles on it so far so no issues yet. I may be interested in some simple upgrades down the road to see what I can squeeze out of it for fuel mileage. Right now the computer claims I'm getting 39 mpg average commuting to and from work, we'll see how accurate that is when I fill the tank. Thanks to everyone involved in keeping the site up and running and making it the resource that it is for all of us Cobalt owners.

-Jesse

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
im curious to see how your calcutaions hold up to the ECU calcutaions, let us know! And welcome to the site, use the seach button, youll find plenty of useful information!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd say it was a good time to make the trade...only cost me a little over $8000 after taxes and everything for a '09 cobalt xfe. Would have been nice to get the SS but it was about 10,000 more and for me it's just a commuter car so I couldn't justify it. 500 miles on it so far...Just an update on how accurate the onboard average fuel mileage is...I hand calculated 37.2 MPG and the average on the dash said 38.5 (and that's the first tank of gas ever put through this car)...but...I didn't reset it until about 150 miles into the tank and I'm not sure how good the dealer topped up the tank either so the next tank should be a little more accurate, but all in all I think the computer is pretty close on mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey funny you should mention the cash for clunkers I too just traded in my '93 Ford Explorer for a nice shiny '09 cobalt. What a great time to trade! I ended up paying about half the msrp

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Welcome to the site! Congrats on the new car!

what makes an xfe different?
5th hear has a higher gear ratio. In other words, when your in 5th gear the engine is at a lower RPM than a normal cobalt. There may be other differences, but thats all I know of..

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think that they also have tires that have a lower rolling resistance????

·
Registered
720 Posts
Here's a quote about the XFE:

"Last year they introduced the Cobalt XFE, with a recalibrated engine, low-rolling-resistance tires, and a higher final-drive ratio (the gearing between the transmission and the front wheels; a higher ratio allows the engine to turn more slowly, saving fuel)."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what grade of gas are you putting in?
I run regular 87 octane. All the gas in Maine (that I know of) is also E10 so mileage would be better with regular gasoline with no ethanol added.

Also the 37.2 MPG I got was purely commuting to work on a hilly 55 mph speed limit road with a couple stop signs and slowing down for a few towns so it's probably the best I'll get with it. Before this car I had an 02 Grand Prix and I got better mileage commuting to work than I did on the interstate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.